Tado setup with two zones and programmer replacement

Options

Hi all,

I am looking to setup/configure Tado but slightly unsure, what is possible and what I fully require. I have done research but still slightly unsure and wondering if the forum could assist.

Context of my current heating setup:

Boiler: Ideal logic combi 30 Gas Boiler

Brand is Secure, but they are identical to Horstmann brand (just different logo)

Channelplus H27XL programmer that sits in beside boiler that is configured for two zones below

Hrt4-a room thermostat (zone 1 )

Hrt4-a room thermostat (zone 2)

(My water from gas. boiler is on another switch which I keep on 24/7)

What do I need to setup Tado I believe wireless/wired thermostat to replace HRT4-a, but what is needed/configured to replace the programmer to still allow for two zones?

Thanks

Thomas

Comments

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Looking at your controller and room stats, with a switch for HW … In principle, you could go for a wireless starter kit. That controls one CH zone valve and the HW zone valve. Plus a wired thermostat for the other CH zone.

• Thank you for the reply, this is what is confusing me. The switch for HW I don't want to change I don't think.

My current programmer is for 2 zones, how do I wire that into the wireless hub? (Apologies my electrical knowledge isn't much and thinking logical)

With what you mentioned, will this still keep the boiler off until I want it on? I do see some mentioning options that keep the boiler on 24/7

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

From your description … your programmer appears to be a dual channel CH and HW, wired to support 2x CH with 2x wired thermostats?

In principle … You will need two zone controllers. A) 2x wired Tado thermostats and keep your switch for HW. Or B) 1x wired Tado thermostat and 1x Tado wireless receiver. That gives you 2x CH. The wireless receiver has a second channel for HW, which could be wired to replace the HW switch and give you timed control of the HW. The existing room thermostats will be redundant. The room thermostat wiring will need to be bridged to make them always call for heat.

When you reach out to Tado for your installation they should give you wiring instructions.

• Thank you,

Yes, that programmer sounds like it’s wired like that. On the programmer I have option to turn on zone 1 or 2. With a separate switch that I have always on for hot water (switch is a standard as if you would turn on a light type switch)

I think this is struggling where I am failing to understand currently apologies.

For each thermostat I just remove and replace with a wired thermostat?

Do I then replace my current programmer with the wireless receiver? How does that cater for my current two zone options that I have with my programmer currently.

Apologies if I am not taking it fully onboard currently.