What the graph shows me for TRVs versus thermostats

Options

Hi,

I've had my system for a few months and have made some assumptions and would like to know if I'm right as they doesn't seem to be explicitly documented anywhere.

Here's my setup - A combi boiler with Tado thermostat, and a few TRVs in the rooms I spend most time in.

Assumption 1: If the thermostat is set at 16 degrees but one of the TRVs is set to 18 degrees, does the boiler try to provide more heat or does it always honour the lower thermostat temperature? My assumption has always been that the TRV can't request heat directly (especially as there may be multiple hot water loops and thermostats and it doesn't know which loop it's on).

Assumption 2: In the screen that shows the graph for a particular device - I understand that the mid and dark grey areas on the thermostat readout signifies requests to the boiler but... on the same screen for a TRV (if assumption 1 is correct), is this just telling me when the TRV is partially or fully open?

I hope this makes sense!

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Tado doesn’t operate with individual devices, it operates on a room basis with one device as the measuring device that can call for heat, so assuming the trv and thermostat are in the same room it will follow whichever is the measuring device.
  • tdsmoore
    Options

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for replying. The TRV is in the living room and the thermostat is in the hall. Each of my devices is set up separately on the home screen of the app none of them share a room. Does that mean that a TRV in my living room can call for more heat from the boiler even if the temperature at the thermostat is within or above the correct range?

Thanks!

Tom

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yup, if there’s a room calling for heat then the boiler will come on. There’s not much point having a Tado thermostat in the hallway unless it’s fixed there and you can’t move it.