System calls for heat outwith schedule

Options

Recent installation with 10 year old Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler. System appears to be working well, however it generates spurious calls for heat outwith it’s scheduled on time, normally overnight. The preheat option is disabled, I have a Deco mesh Wi-Fi, through a cable modem. Any suggestions re cause or fix?

Best Answer

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Emvee Living in a colder region, a Tado device calling for heat over-night could be due to the default 'frost protection' setting, which is 5 deg C? Have a look at the room temperatures in the app room graphs. This should indicate which room/device (if any) is calling for heat.

Where your boiler is in an unheated location (e.g. garage or outside cupboard) it should have a hard-wired frost-stat?

If your Tado device loses connection to the dongle, the last known setting will continue until connection is restored. Check for connection loss in the app: grey-out rooms and gaps in the room graphs.

Answers

• jbm1991
    Options

I've got a Worcester greenstar boiler (440 cdi) and it could be that your boiler has a "comfort mode" and that's why your boiler is firing? It keeps a small tank of hot water ready in the boiler, so you get instant hot water out of your taps. My old 440 cdi had no way to turn this off, but my new 440 cdi does have an "eco" mode you can turn on which disables it.

Essentially, are you sure it's Tado calling for the heat?

• Emvee
    Options

Thanks for your responses, my boiler is switched to Eco mode all of the time. The system fault calls for heating, since posting I have been examining the placement of the Internet bridge, this appears to be the culprit. Another responder Wateroakley has confirmed that Wi-Fi dropout causes the system to repeat the last program. I will confirm this with a Wi-Fi scanner, testing the strength of the signal in my Wi-Fi mesh system

• hugbilly
    Options
    Sadly this sort of behaviour does seem to be a failing of the tado which occurs from time to time. It hasn’t happened here for a while but this morning I witnessed (i) The system continuing to call for heat (CH LED lighted on the wireless receiver and boiler running) despite the TRV concerned having reached its target and the app. showing no calls for heat. (ii) Having selected “switch off all rooms” on the app the system again called for heat, after a pause, for the same TRV. I do wonder whether this had something to do with the end of summertime this morning. Sadly I know that if I was to contact support the tado team would suggest a communication problem between the bridge and the receiver. These do sometimes happen but the link has been rock solid of late.