Normal radiator TRV valve vs Tado smart TRV valve

Options
I have 9 normal TRVs valve on 9 radiators. I am planning to have a tado° Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ and just 1 tado° Smart TRV Thermostatic Radiator Valve.

Will my other 8 radiators still heat up along with the one with tado smart radiator valve?

Or

I need to have Tado smart radiator valve in all radiators?

Your experienced responses will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@vu_pes00 First, two questions ... what controls and thermostat are you replacing? Boiler model ? Is the TRV going on the rad in the same room as the thermostat? Or a different room?

In principle ... the Tado wireless thermosat and Tado TRV on a rad in the same room will act much like your old room stat. Adding the Tado TRV on a rad in another room will heat according to the smart room temperature schedule, or can act as 'independent' (like a scheduled 'smart' dumb TRV and not call for heat). When your Tado room thermostat (or TRV) calls for heat, your 8 other radiators with dumb TRVs will heat up.

We have got the best out of the system from adding 12 TRVs, two room stats, and micro-managing the schedule according to our use, including geo-fencing. It took about three months to figure out what worked well for us. Our ROI was about 9 months.

This is today's graph of our heating and HW energy use since October 2021, compared to 2018-21 at the same outside monthly temperature (mean CET). Not turned the heating on yet ... brrr. No promises that anyone else can achieve the same.

• vu_pes00
    Options
    Thank you, Wateroakley for your response. It definitely helps me to understand how a Tado smart valve works.

I have a Vaillant Combi Boiler with Salus receiver connected to boiler and a Salus wireless Thermostat controller. The thermostat has gone missing since last 10 days and. Could not find it despite looking everywhere. No option left other than to get new set of Thermostat despite we know it’s somewhere at home as the radiators get heat up at scheduled time.

In the past, we used to keep the thermostat where we spend more time as it will act on the temperature of that room. We will be doing the same with Tado Thermostat- we will keep it on the room where we will be more time. It varies everyday.

Would that be an issue? Or we need to keep the Tado Thermostat where Tado TRV is?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.