Advice on which products required Vs current boiler/setup/needs

Options
jhoneyman
jhoneyman
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Current setup: Is a Potterton Assure 15 boiler (lives in the garage and believe a system setup, so non-combi) with x2 wired stats in the usual upstairs and downstairs hallway. I believe the junction box for all wiring (From the boiler and to the stats) are upstairs where the zone control valves live, as well as the hot water tank.

There is a hot water display/control in the utility room too.

Requirements are:

1. Hot water control capability
  2. The master bedroom is above a garage and always colder compared to the rest of the upstairs, so would like this room to be better regulated
  3. Likely require at least 8 valves (For now)

Seems all the 'deals' target the wireless and hot water products as a bundle.

Can anyone advise on what products i require for a nice seamless install?

From my own research i think i require; x2 wired stats/8 valves and the hot water box (Although i can't seem to buy this separately? - I might be ill-informed about what this even is and does the current utility one become redundant?)

This appears to be a good deal, but unsure if the stat is wired or not as states wireless (Again might just be lack of understanding as new to this product range):

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/Cooling-Air-Treatment-Heating/Smart-Thermostats/tado-Whole-Home-Bundle-Wireless-Starter-Kit-with-8-x-Universal-Smart-Radiator-Thermostats/p/374926

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You can buy the wireless receiver separately but you’re going to need the bridge as well. Might be cheaper to buy as a wireless starter kit. You can use it for one heating channel and hot water. You then need another smart thermostat for the other heating zone. I would hold off on the trvs until you’re sure you don’t have any issues (like signal strength) with that set up.
  • jhoneyman
    Options
    Current setup is fully wired, but presume if I buy Tado wireless hardware I can get it to all work?
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options
    It’s all wired in. The wireless in the name refers to the wireless temperature sensor that comes with the wireless starter kit.
  • jhoneyman
    Options

Two wired stats are now up and running for the up and down zones, with the receiver all wired into the boiler.

The hot water control is now the issue, there didn't appear to be any wiring in/out of the boiler to control this. There is a control unit in the utility for hot water, but would have thought the boiler still supplies hot water in some fashion.

Any view on what is needed to wire in for hot water control?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You’ll need to find the heating/hot water valve. Sounds like there might be a junction box somewhere.
  • jhoneyman
    jhoneyman
    edited November 2023
    Options

There is indeed. Upstairs near the hot water tank and heating control valves.

• jhoneyman
    Options

Unsure why there are bare wires.. But that is the box