Are smart radiator thermostats a worthwhile addition?

Options

Hi,

I have the wireless starter kit with the thermostat in the lounge. So when the temperature in the lounge drops below the thermostat setting the boiler kicks in. We also have other radiators throughout the house with normal TRV's that can only kick in if the boiler is on (controlled by the lounge thermostat).

My question is, if I replaced the TRV's in the two bedrooms with tado smart radiator valves will they be able to turn on and off separately from the lounge thermostat or will they simply interfere with one another as one thermostat turns the boiler on whilst another is trying to turn the boiler off?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• wateroakley
    Options

The bedroom and TRV can be set to a 'zone controller'. The bedroom will 'call for heat' according to the schedule/temperature. Alternatively, the room could be set as 'independent'. The TRV will act like a schedule/temperature dumb TRV and NOT call for heat.

The potential issue is the radiator in the lounge with the room stat. Does the radiator have a valve that you could fit a TRV? If not, the radiator will get warm when the bedrooms or lounge 'call for heat'.

The best solution would be to fit a Tado TRV on the radiator in the lounge. Then it should all work together. Always remembering that the boiler may require a radiator without a TRV to act as a bypass. The alternative is to set the bedrooms as 'independent'.