How can I turn my old thermostat off and still have tado work?

Options
I have a Greenstar 37CDi boiler with Worcester Digistat. I'm now 3 hours into installation and have finally discovered the Tado will only work if the existing Digistat is continually calling for heat. I've wired everything correctly (I've checked 4 times now and jiggled everything for good measure) but unless the old Digistat calls for heat and is turned on, the boiler won't give any heat. Any ideas?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The digistat is still in circuit so you either need to take it out completely or leave it set to always on. Can Tado turn the boiler off and on when it’s set like this?
  • notmymuse
    Options
    Thanks for coming back to me. If I turn the Digistat off, the Tado does nothing, so is there a way to take it out/turn it off and still have the Tado operate the boiler? The Tado installation instructions don't mention anything about it.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    What tado devices are you using? It’s not very clear to me how you would have wired them to the boiler without first unwiring the old stat.
  • notmymuse
    Options
    The Digistat is wireless so I didn't have to take it out. I just have a room sensor, wireless receiver and bridge.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    You would need to look at your boiler manual to find out how to unwire the digistat receiver in that case but if you’re happy to leave it set to always on, provided Tado can control the boiler, sounds like it might be the easiest solution.
  • wateroakley
    Options

To complement the advice from Johnny … post details of your setup with pictures of the controls and wiring.

We have Tado successfully working with an older Worcester Bosch combi boiler. We connected the room stat wires into the boiler with a Tado wireless receiver and set the internal boiler controls to 24/7 ON.