Further thoughts on wireless receivers and RF . . .

Options
hugbilly
hugbilly ✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Many tado users, myself included, have experienced the frustration of slow blinking "connection" and "device error" LEDs on their wireless receivers as has been extensively discussed elsewhere in this forum.Recently my TalkTalk dual band router (Sagem Fast 5364) went down and we lost WiFi for about 5 days.

During this time we used our tado TRVs and Wireless Thermostats to manually operate the heating hot water. It was a nuisance not to have the automatic schedule but the system operated perfectly well and I noticed the Wireless receiver never lost contact with the Bridge (i.e. no blinking LEDs) when, under normal circumstances, I would have expected at least one disconnection every week.

The faulty router was replaced a couple of days ago but, despite my fears, the Wireless Receiver has shown no further disconnections. I am surprised, and pleased, by this. It may of course be that the problem will return, but I do wonder whether the original router was emitting some spurious frequency, or perhaps spikes of RF, which interfered with the tado kit. The new router is exactly the same model as the old and is in the same position in the house.

Of course without any sort of measurement kit I have no idea if its signal is different from the old one, aside from the improved performance of the wireless receiver.My conclusion, and suggestion, is that if the slow blinking problem occurs it's worth removing the WiFi signal from the equation by turning off the router to see what happens. Yes, remote control, and scheduling, of the system will be lost but it can still be turned on and off locally and temperature regulation is retained.

I may well be eating my words in a week or two if my receiver "slow blinks" again, but in the meantime I remain encouraged that replacing the router seems to have cured the problem.