Is wireless thermostat kit compatible with my heating setup

Options
Lee_F_
Lee_F_
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Currently have an Ideal Standard Type E boiler, no thermostat, just TRVs on all rads.

Hot water gravity fed from tank in loft and heating controlled from a manual switch to energise the circulation pump (when timer switch is in 'ON' mode only).

This is pretty much the setup with a Danfoss 103E7 just doing the on/off timings for boiler, usually stays off during summer as we rarely use hot water (just electric shower) and then flick the pump switch (which sits where room stat would be) for heating during winter and let each room TRV control temp (currently 4 rads with TRVs and one bypass)

Think tado will work, but want someone to advise if there's anything special i need to consider given the age of the heating system.

I have

tado° Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+

and 4x

tado° Smart Radiator Thermostat

Thanks for any help given

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m not an expert but are you expecting Tado to control your manual pump switch? If you are I’m not sure how that would work. If you’re not, are you sure it’s worth installing?
  • Lee_F_
    Options

I was hoping I could wire the switch lead to one of the switching loops on the tado so it could turn the heating pump on and off

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I think it depends on the current being switched. The Tado wireless receiver has a single switching capability with a maximum load of 3amps, so if your pump circuit draws less current than that you should be ok. There are lots of discussions on the forum over gravity systems - this might be useful https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/17854/gravity-system
  • Lee_F_
    Options

That was the thing I was thinking about as it is a thunking geat Grundfoss unit, possibly would have to build a mains relay switching box so the tado only energises a relay coil instead of the pump