Will TADO System work with underfloor Heating and Oil Boiler - no controls fitted yet?

Options
kevandali
kevandali
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Hi All

At the moment I have a new oil fired boiler and underfloor heating system not yet fully fitted and no controllers fitted. (Not getting completed for a fortnight)

I have 9 zones and these will be controlled by 5 thermostats

1. Lounge Dining Room and Kitchen (Zone 1)
  2. Utility, Bathroom and Hall (Zone 2,3 and 4)
  3. Bedroom1, changing room and Utility (Zone 5,6 and 7)
  4. Bedroom 2 (Zone 8)
  5. Bedroom 3 (Zone 9)

The boiler is outside and there is a water tank in the loft, also upstairs are three radiators which will get connected at a later date.

My questions are:-

• I want to be able to control my different zones seperately using TADO, will it do this with the App?
  • Will I be able to see all the zones on the App?
  • Will I be able to control the turning on and off of the boiler?
  • Will I be able to control the water temperature?

All the wiring is in place but need to make a decision on what control system to use, want to use TADO but just want to make sure it will do what I want it to do.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Answers

• davidlyall
    Options

Can you provide details of the heating hardware being fitted as someone on here may have the same set up and be able to advise

Also, have you discussed with Tado directly?

On the face of it, I would think it'll work

• datoon
    Options

We have a similar setup, ableit with a heat pump.

Each thermostat & TVR is designed and wired to call for heat. However, recently that doesn't seem to work very well - our setback temperature hasn't been maintained for a couple of evenings.

I find the app is regularly out of sync with the wireless extension kit.

The other thing to consider with Tado is whether your boiler has OpenTherm capability? If it does then Tado is probably a bad choice as the extension kit doesn't support it. You will have to get a plumber who understands how to wire it too.

I've had Tado for multiple years, and I'm not overly convinced with the smart thermostat industry.

I'm not 100% sure it saves you any money in the long run as rooms heat & cool at different temperatures.

You can end up with a boiler thrashing to keep a single room to temperature while all the other rooms are the right temperature.

I'm started to think that a well balanced system with 2 centralised stats is probably better.

• kevandali
    Options

I have gone for the wireless smart thermostat including programmer with hot water control and also 4 other thermostats

However i am doubting myself as the wiring is in place for 5 thermostats so do i actually need a wired smart thermostat and controler for hot water?

I am confusing myself, will try and contact TADO to get things straight in my mind if one of you loely lot can't help

Thanks

Kev