Is my smart radiator thermostat faulty - eating batteries?

Options

One thermostat has consumed five times more batteries than others.

I wondered if it was the radiator so I swapped this smart thermostat with another on a different radiator.

It is still consuming batteries on the new radiator when the previous thermostat there was still on its original batteries.

Looks to me like the fault follows the thermostat and I wondered if anyone had experienced similar faulty unit before I return it?

Best Answer

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@dave31561 Yes. Your diagnosis sounds right. We have one trv out of 24 that eats batteries. One week battery life, for the last 18 months. It draws 10mA. Finally, today, the top of the TRV head noticeably heated up. Now it has croaked. If yours is under warranty, ask for a replacement.

Answers

• dave31561
    Options

@wateroakley - thanks for sharing your experience and your answer, much appreciated

• dave31561
    Options

I wanted to add a comment. Shortly after posting in December 2023, Tado contacted me and kindly arranged a replacement TRV. I can confirm the replacement is still on it's first set of batteries and working well.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this issue - loving Tado and the community

• Afiaa
    Options
    That was a good result. I asked why my radiator valve states that it needs new batteries almost weekly when the other 7 have not needed changing in a year. I was advised to get the recommended rechargeable batteries (£16 for 4) and it still does it maybe a day after changing them. When put the batteries in a tester they show almost full so it has to be an issue with the device. Here’s hoping I get similar customer support but I won’t count on it. It’s almost impossible to find any contact details for customer service either. Infuriating.