What is the CO2 footprint of 1 Tado Smart Thermostat

Options
Hi there,

Does anyone know the CO2 footprint of a Tado Smart Thermostat? I am
Trying to figure out the tota CO2 reduction of implementing smart thermostats on all my central heaters and need this figure as part of my calculation.

Hope someone can tell me.

Thanks!
Ralf

Answers

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

IMHO - I can't see much reduction here? tado° technically requires an internet connection and its servers run 24h, does anyone consider this? tado° is not only a back end, but also a front end.

• Yeah so I am also interested in manufacturing co2 footprint
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

Good luck with finding out this information......by the way.......what are you going to do with the information, on the assumption that you can actually determine the accuracy of ant data that is/might be available.

• Well I am looking at the total CO2 footprint reduction you get from implementing the smart thermostats. It’s purely out of interest and not some scientific study :)
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

In my case, I honestly see no CO2 reduction. The setup is simple: if > then. No geofencing, no complex logic. The old so-called dumb thermostat offered the same function but without the need for the internet. There are of course advantages such as convenience, remote access etc, but these are not part of this discussion.

CO2 is again widely used as a sales thing to persuade customers to buy products, but on many occasions its just an ideology not supported by real benefits if you start looking into the details, not just marketing leaflets.

• Well I reduced my gas bill with around 50% so I certainly have a nice CO2 reduction. I have geofencing on, have time schedules on my central heating and have a serious cost reduction as out gas has been through the roof due to the Ukraine/Russia “issue”.
  • wateroakley
    Options

Start by calculating the in-life CO2 footprint at circa 0.2 kg CO2 per kWh of natural gas. Our 45% annual kWh natural gas saving equates to a CO2 footprint reduction of circa 250kG for every Tado Smart TRV. The production footprint of Tado devices is probably negligible compared to the in-life reduction.

• wateroakley
    Options

@TropicalRalphie Well done Ralphie! Your 50% reduction helps to confirm that our 45% annual saving is not an 'outlier'! We too use geofencing a lot. I'm sat here at 17 deg C in the study while its -1.2 deg C outside.