Tado radiator valve under a desk

Options

I have an office room with a desk on top of my radiator. It has a grill to allow for air flow, so it is not completely covered on top. The front-side is also fully open, so nothing obstructing that.

I've installed an Tado radiator valve on it, I've added an offset to the room (-2.5 C seems to be as close as it can get), but the readings are all over the place.

Sometimes the reading is right there, sometimes I have a difference of +2 C, sometimes -2C and all over between.

Is this expected for this kind of mount? This creates a very big thermal disconfort as it gets too hot or too cold (mostly too cold).

Before, I had an Danfoss RAS-C2 radiator sensor (Tado is mounted on top of the valve that came with that) and I didn't had this kind of issues. It was set on between level III and IV. Around 22 C.

Anyway I can get a stable reading in this room with that kind of mount using Tado radiator valve or should I revert to the old Danfoss one?

PS: I'm not paying 100 Euro for the tado dedicated wireless temperature sensor, just to have a steady temperature that I can achieve with 20 Euro radiator valve that I already have.

Comments

• wateroakley
    Options

Three possible options. A) Bite the E100 bullet with a wireless thermostat. We did this in our lounge. SWMBO is happy with the result. B) Half the E bullet, a second trv in the room (not connected to anything) simply as a cheaper temperature measuring device. C) Refit the dumb TRV. You could keep the Tado TRV in the room to see if the the temperature measurement stabilises when it’s not covered by the desk.

I’d suggest you try C) first. Then you’d know if B) would be a viable option before forking out money.

• Thank you for the suggestion. Will try out C) for a few days and see how it goes. Although this will set me back with ~70 Euro also.

Too bad they don't support matter yet so we could simply add an cheap temperature sensor to work as a reading adjustment.