Ground Floor too hot

Options
Hi, I have recently acquired a Tado Starter kit (wired) for my house plus smart radiator valves for 3 x bedrooms upstairs. I replaced the old honeywell thermostat and put the tado in the same location: living room - ground floor. It seems that my house has one single zone.- which everytime any bedroom demands heat then the groundfloor gets heated to a point that makes it too hot.

What options do I have? How can I solve this extra heating in the living room that I dont need at night?

I tried to make the radiator valves independent but they don’t seem to trigger the boiler.

Thanks a lot!

Best Answer

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As I see it, you have two options

1. leave the bedroom TRVs as independent so they can't trigger the boiler. They will only get heat when the ground floor smart thermostat calls for heat. Zero cost to doing this but it gives you very little advantage over your previous set up
    2. Have a plumber change your heating piping so you have a separate physical zones for upstairs and downstairs. This would likely need two port valves for each circuit. Once that's done, the downstairs smart thermostat would need to be wired to the downstairs valve and you'd also need either a wireless receiver or upstairs wired smart thermostat for the other upstairs zone. This will cost quite a bit and may involve a lot of disruption in your home but would give you the control you seek

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
    If there’s nothing stopping hot water going into your ground floor radiators (or ufh?) then they will heat up when your boiler comes on. They need trvs, either tado or manual ones.
  • DiegoBerkel
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Thanks, I had to replace the TRVs and this helped a bit but still because of floor heating it keeps warming up more than it is supposed to. I wonder if adding a separate zone for the bedrooms will help, Is it easily doable?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Assuming you’ve created rooms on the app then you have created zones.