Vertical Radiator

Options
Hi all

I've just bought some Tado smart radiator thermostats (awaiting delivery). I can see it's easy enough to change over on TRV's, however, I have a large vertical radiator that has two valves on it.

I can't attach pictures, so I've put a link to a similar one to show what I mean. Does anyone have any views on how I would attach the smart radiator thermostats to this and would I need to attach one to each side?

https://www.onlyradiators.co.uk/p/eliteheat-2-column-vertical-radiator-1800mm-pv

Also, has anyone had any luck attaching to large towel radiators?

Thanks!

Comments

• hugbilly
    Options

You need to exchange one of the valves for a TRV body. Drayton or Honeywell would be a good choice as the tadoº TRV heads are known to fit those brands . . .

• Gj123
    Options
    Thanks for the reply - Should I change both and put SRT's on both - it seems from playing around with the radiator that each valve controls one side of the radiator (I think).
  • hugbilly
    Options

That sounds unlikely. NB, don't forget the system has to be drained to change the valve body . .

• Gj123
    Options
    Thanks! Would you know which one of the two to change, or does it not matter?
  • hugbilly
    Options

Generally the TRV would be on the flow side . . .

• Gj123
    Gj123
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I've checked all the radiators and they're all TRV's, expect one, which is the one I have been discussing with the two manual valves. I am assuming this is perhaps a bypass radiator, however, my impression was generally these were fixed valves with two lockshields that you couldn't turn off, which isn't the case with this one, as you can.

The issue is, this is the main and large vertical radiator for the living room, therefore, ideally this is one I'd want a SRT on.

1). Would I be right in thinking that if I wanted this, I'd need to switch one of the other radiators (in a less important area) to a manual valve to act as the bypass radiator?

2). Does bypass radiator have to be completely open / on the max heat setting, or could I turn it down low, to save costs if it does have to act as the bypass?

3). I don't know if I have a bypass valve, unfortunately. The boiler is a conventional boiler (Potterton 50EL), therefore, I can't imagine it has one built in like many modern combi ones do. I've checked by the fortic tank and can see what appears to be a gate valve. I'm not sure if this can act as a crude version of a bypass.

Any advice would be much appreciated this!
  • Gj123
    Options
    I was advised by a plumber who mentioned he didn't think I'd need an automatic bypass valve, as I have a manual bypass and three port valve which never stop flow. Does this sound correct in terms of it not being an issue for me putting TRV's on all radiators?