Current of Internet bridge connector

Options
Hi all, I recently discovered that the adapter which comes with the internet bridge connector is AC/DC. I connected the usb directly with a cable extension (AC current) without using the Tado adapter. Does anyone know if the bridge connector uses AC or DC? If it is DC, I need to use the Tado adapter for DC conversion right?

Best Answer

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think any standard USB power supply, for example one for an iPhone, will supply the bridge satisfactorily . . .

Answers

• davidlyall
    Options

The bridge has a micro-USB B connector. Provided the USB you plug it into adheres to the USB standard, it will get the correct 5V DC voltage. You can also power it using a USB C - micro-USB B connector

If your router has USB, it can also be powered from that saving a mains socket but be aware that some routers appear to turn off USB power after a while if they detect no data activity. Since the bridge pulls power only over USB, that router feature can result in it being powered off

• Hi Davidlyall, will it get 5V DC voltage if my adapter is a 5V AC voltage? In Germany, most output is AC and not DC. I would probably need a AC DC converter adapter?
  • davidlyall
    Options

I doubt it'll be 5V AC

If your adapter has a USB socket then it must abide by the USB standards so will be 5V DC

• BOOMEL
    Options
    I have a Poe splitter that has 2.4a however I I noticed that the onboard 3 pin plug gives 1.4a. Is this an issue, they are both 5volt.
  • FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

To answer the OP, the adapter is AC/DC but the bridge itself is not. AC means alternating current which is what you have coming out of a power socket in your wall. DC is direct current which is what you have with USB or a gazillion other things that predated the USB connectors (those round things you plugged in). Rule of thumb, AC is high voltage and power, DC is little stuff. You can touch a USB plug for example with your bare hands and not die.

USB adapters will say AC/DC because they convert AC (110V or 220V or whatever) to DC.

Regarding 2.4 Ampere or 1.4… Imagine it like a regular outlet in your wall and Watts. You can power a hair dryer with 2000 Watts from the outlet or a razor with 10 Watts. Too much POSSIBLE Watts does not mean it is pushed down the wire. If your PoE splitter can supply UP TO 2.4A does not mean it forces down into whatever you connect.