Bye Bye tado

Options
andybuk
andybuk
edited December 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Well.

tado is no longer in control of my heating. The final straw was someone in their support team pushing a new configuration that completely broke the system.

Smart Thermostats: (both) constantly show Configuration Download icon.

Internet Bridge: When powered up or reset, goes through the normal cycles, then ends with all lights lit and nothing online.

I have been told that there was a change to move the radio channel of the bridge after I reported the download icon. All devices were showing online before then and the heating would come on via the schedule, albeit late.

A day later and it was all offline. That is when I was told the app is not real time !

Anyhow, the final final straw was support saying it looks like the internet bridge is now not working after the change and it will need to be replaced, and here is the kicker.....at my expense !

So, bye bye tado, thanks for the nightmares due to the heating coming on at random times, the extra energy expense from heating overruns, the geo-location actually turning the heating on full when we left the house (even thought it wasn't set) and the complete lack of support for what could be classed as an essential service.

Comments

• hugbilly
    Options

What's your intention going forward, Wiser ?

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Well said @andybuk....... 👍
  • andybuk
    Options

Drayton Wiser & already in. Doesn't rely on the internet, in fact the same as Hive. Both are equal in terms of functionality that we require.

• hugbilly
    Options
    Glad to hear you didn’t opt for Hive TRVs, they are absolutely hopeless . . .
  • andybuk
    Options

Friends and family have Hive TRV and have no issue with them. I think its about placement and usage. Where as the tado system looked like it wasnt designed for the UK market originally and then just shoe-horned in. Opentherm not fully support on UK equipment, TRV not designed to be at the bottom of the rad

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I, and a large body of others, found the Hive TRVs utterly useless. When operating in HOD (Heat On Demand) mode they will call for heat by firing the boiler but then fail to open so that the boiler simply wastes gas. They also regularly ask to be calibrated, a procedure which again requires the boiler to run for an extended period (they need the radiators to be supplied with hot water to do it) but then to fail to calibrate successfully and ask for the process to repeated. I believe the Hive TRV heads are adapted from an old Danfoss design.

After I got rid of the Hive system (and I had a full refund for the TRVs) tadoº was an absolute breath of fresh air, aside from it's weak RF performance and reliance on a cloud based schedule.

If I had my time again I would go for Wiser or possibly the Honeywell system though the latter was rather more expensive last time I looked.

There is a great deal of correspondence about the problems with Hive TRVs here in case it's of interest:

https://community.hivehome.com/s/question/0D50J00005fBS8oSAG/trv-update?fromEmail=1&s1oid=00D20000000njW3&s1nid=0DB0J0000004DKM&s1uid=0055I0000026cyz&s1ext=0&emkind=chatterCommentNotification&emtm=1680282484539

• Mikeys
    Options

Interesting, I've got Tado doing strange things at the moment with geo, people leaving the house, but it still says person is home. I'm looking at moving to Wiser too.

Currently have 4 additional thermostats, 8 TRV units. Probably going to need to budget £1000 for the Wiser system. Just starting to read up on the requirements for it.

I've installed and configured WAN redundancy too at home for when the internet drops so the Tado system doesn't sit there in limbo.