Wireless Extension Kit to Control Hot Water

Options

Hi All;

So, I've had my tado system installed for the best part of ~1 month now and it's been working well. I been doing some reading about the hot water and want to bring this into the ecosystem.

My setup is:

Ideal H24 Boiler

• Hot Water Tank (EvoCycle)
  • Wired Thermostat in Hallway (replaced a Honeywell T3) - all rads downstairs configured to use this as the controller.
  • Wired Thermostat in Master Bedroom (replaced a Honeywell T3) - all rads upstairs configured to use this as the controller.
  • ThermaQ TQX0027 - just used for hot water

So the wiring on the ThermaQ really just had 4 wires (N, L, E and HW (Black Wire) ...

So in my simple mind, I am thinking; install the wireless receiver to act as the hot water control, but can't get that to work for the life of me.

I've got it paired

Bloody thing thinks it's responsible for controlling the zones ...

Pretty sure I have a S plan configuration

Any thoughts?

So wired the Tado like this:

Basically:

N -> N

L -> L

E -> Eath

HW into HW NO

Bridge from L to HW COM

Comments

• Got this sorted, needed to contact tado to update my system; to make one of the wired stats as a zone.

Result is:

Upstairs is on a wired stat and its own zone
    Downstairs is on a wired stat and its own zone
    Wireless receiver just controls the hot water
  • dividave
    Options
    Hi, I’m in a similar situation to you I think, I am about to move into a new build house.

The set up there is 3 zones consisting of upstairs heating (controlled by wired thermostat), downstairs heating (also controlled by wired thermostat), and hot water. Most radiators also have TRV’s.

I already started buying a few Tado items in prep for moving in, I bought some TRV’s, 1 wired thermostat add on, and 1 starter kit (which is the wireless thermostat with hot water control).

I found out today that the heating in the new house is an Ideal Logic boiler and a ThermaQ TQX0027 (same as the ESI 3247) programmer.

I decided to start the set up process on the Tado app just to see how the thing is installed out of curiosity and when I typed in the model of programmer it comes back saying it is incompatible with Tado. I did a little digging and I believe this is because Tado don’t cater for ‘3 zone’ systems. However, if I understand your post correctly, you have managed to over come this? Is that right?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m wondering whether I can in fact use the equipment I have bought but maybe need to add an extra wired thermostat or something.
  • FunkMaster007
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @dividave

Yeah I ran into the same problem, when I found the model it wouldn’t setup but I winged it so to speak and turned out to be OK.

So here’s what I have now:

Two wired stats, (one was the wired starter kit with the bridge, bought a second wired one)
    One wireless extension kit - I use this just for hot water.

Replaced the Honeywell T3 wired stats with the wired tado
    Replaced the TXQ with the wireless extension kit

Not sure what you know about the Tado, but I learnt that the tado devices act as zone controllers; so all my TRV’s downstairs (zone 1) use the downstairs wired to call for heat and similarly the ones upstairs used the master bedroom (zone 2) to call for heat.

The biggest issue I had was when I added the wireless extension kit (wired it for hot water, as that is all I need it for), it somehow disabled the zone 1 controller and made itself as the master.

Man I nearly ripped it off the wall but once I figured out the concept and how it works, I contacted Tado support and explained my config. Takes them a while to respond and the chap remotely updated my config (strange I couldn’t do this myself), but in essence I now have the following:

Zone 1 - Tado wired in hallway (no TRV on that rad)
    Zone 2 - Tado wired in master bedroom (no TRV on that rad)
    Wireless extension kit is in my living room and it just controls hot water.

I have it all setup with HomeKit too and home assistant.

I have a TRV on all other rads (16) and next season might move the non-TRV rads to be the ones in the bathroom, there’s a whole debate about whether to have some rads without TRV’s or not.

I’ll post some pics of the wiring or ping me when you move in, perhaps it’ll be a direct match.

But the key is getting it installed and then contacting support to getting the config updated remotely.

Hope that helps :)