EU Tado Wireless Receiver to Ideal+ Combi C30 Help please

Options

Hi,

I'm almost ready to give this a go got the gear trying to replace an old dual channel hive system which was turned into single channel once the combi boiler was installed. I want to take advantage of opentherm and the smart TRVs otherwise it offers nothing more than hive currently does.

I've attached photos of inside the boiler and the hive wiring and the receiver etc

I think I know what I'm doing with the OT side of things two right hand side wires from receiver to OT connections on boiler, then connecting the plug that's bridged from behind the blanking panel to the plug that's floating around inside the boiler then plug the gap with the black rubber bung (photo edit in blue)

Its the mains side of it, I'm unsure whether to disconnect the mains in side of things from the hive wiring or leave it (does this power the boiler or is this the relay on off from hive?

What to do with the stat wire in the boiler

and the EU receiver its only got 2 wires to an EU style plug, how to I wire this up? (it has no earth connection so I'm very cautious.

The safer way in my head is to replace the hive box with a UK

single gang socket and get a shaver to UK plug adaptor

Any help or guidance gratefully received

Cheers Pete

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You should get instructions from Tado anyway but you seem to be on the right track. Opentherm is as you said. If the hive has been wired correctly, as it appears to be, then it will be being powered from the boiler spur. You can completely remove all wiring to it.

There’s no reason to use the eu plug on the wireless receiver. You could do as you said and use a converter, replace it with a uk plug, or wire it straight to the boiler spur as the hive was.
  • Hey Johnny,
    Thanks for the quick response, thanks for answering my post.
    Yes I received a support doc from tado which basically said about wiring the OT in then plug the EU plug in lol, so it was a bit short on detail.

Yes the hive is wired from a fused spur, so you're saying I can completely remove that 4 core wire which leads to the LNE and stat?

Then after that I'm fine wiring some 2 core to the old hive connection from the tado EU receiver just using live and neutral with no earth?

So the final look will be from the receiver will be 2 low voltage OT wires into boiler and 2 wires live and neutral to the old hive box?

Really appreciate your help and advice

Cheers Pete
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    What do you mean by the old hive box? The backplate? If so I’d remove it, you won’t be able to mount the wireless receiver on it anyway. Wiring sounds fine, I think there may be an earth point on the wireless receiver too. I’m not an electrician so don’t take this as read, but I think provided it’s permanently wired to an earthed device like the boiler it isn’t necessary.
  • yeah, the backplate mate and yeah I appreciate I would need to mount the receiver elsewhere just thought I may as well utilise the backplate as a 3 pin socket and maybe plug the octopus live usage thing in there.

I appreciate all your help, I will do some more googling around the earth wire stuff

• Apparently yes that's fine to have two wires in the UK, many appliances only have 2 wires, it means they're double insulated (normally the symbol is on the appliance and is a square within a square) the EU tado wireless receiver does indeed have the square within the square symbol so is good to go without an earth.

Hopefully someone may find this useful in the future

Cheers Pete