Need to know what is the best bundle to buy to my 20 years old boiler and cylinder

Options
Hi Experts,

I am planning to move to tado. I kindly need to know which tado system would work best to control hot water and heating to the maximum benefit.

I have a 20 years old heating system. This consists of:
- Potterton kingfisher MF LTX0346 Boiler
- ⁠Vented hot water cylinder 1500 X 500 + Honeywell L641A1039 Cylinder Thermostat
- ⁠6 Horizontal Panel Radiators + 1 vertical towel rail (They appear to me having manual valve - non thermostatic)
- ⁠Honeywell st6400c 1003 programmer (wired)
- ⁠Honeywell T6360B1028 Room Thermostat (wired)

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Best,
Omar

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    Options

@Omar0

I don't think that adding a tado system to your very old setup would be the right way to go.....imho

If it was me.....I would strongly consider updating my current equipment, before attempting to go "smart".....plus imho tado isn't really that "smart" .

The possibility of experiencing some strange interactions between tado and your old system would worry me .

Please bare in mind that this is my own personal opinion.........I have had a tado system for 3 1/2 years and I have removed all my 10 SRT's from my radiators and refitted my original "dumb" TRV's.........and so far I'm using less gas to power my Central Heating.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited January 6
    Options

@Omar0 The question is: What are you trying to achieve and what's your budget? ... Remote control? Energy/cost savings? Comfort? Reliability? Floor space for a new kitchen? Assuming a typical S-Plan or Y-plan setup, possible options:

1. The Potterton Kingfisher MF is a non-condensing boiler, about 80% efficient. It should have an external bypass on the pipework. A new condensing boiler is 92% efficient and should save circa 13% on gas consumption. A 'typical' ofgem household would save around £110 a year at 2024 prices. A Gas Safe engineer job and not ££cheap.
    2. The Tado wireless starter kit will replace your Honeywell controls and room stat. That would give you a flexible smart schedule for CH and HW from your phone/tablet/PC. £85 on offer at Screwfix. A relatively a simple option for a competent DIYer. Any savings would depend on your personal circumstances and how you use it.
    3. Dumb TRVs. You'll need a plumber or heating engineer to change to thermostatic valves on the rads. Need to keep one rad without a TRV as the Potterton boiler bypass.
    4. Tado TRVs. You could add these after doing 3. On offer around £180 for 4 at Screwfix.

Personally, I'd start the list with 2. The Tado wireless starter kit to control your CH and HW schedule. Best return for the least ££ invested.

A close second would be 3. Add 8 dumb TRVs for more comfort. Keep one rad or towel rail open as your Potterton boiler bypass.

Third is 4. Add up to 8 Tado TRVs. You could do these individually as your budget allows.

Last would be 1. Make a plan for replacing the old Potterton boiler sooner rather than later.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

Until recently I had an elderly Ideal Classic gas boiler similar to yours running a Y plan system. I added tado (including the TRVs) to it about 4 years ago. I bought the kit from Costco who had a special offer on tado kit at the time. They are running a similar promotion at the moment.

More recently I've updated the boiler to a Greenstar but the rest of the system remains unchanged. I continue to be pleased with tado aside from the RF weakness and the need for internet access for the schedule to run . . .