Tado to replace Danfoss in a system boiler set up

Options

Hi there

I hope all is well with you & you had a great weekend!

I am hoping you can help me establish whether a Tado system would integrate well in to my home. I’ve tried to research as much as I can, so apologies for the long email, but hopefully this has all the information to help us work out if this would be a good fit for me!

What I am looking to achieve is the following:

• A more consistent and habitable temperature upstairs in my house with finer room-level control
  • Any changes must not interfere with the existing ground floor set up which I am comfortable with

My existing set up is as follows:

• Boiler is an Alpha InTec 28S in the garage with a separate hot water tank upstairs; I think this is an S-Plan set up; Boiler and microswitches all have wires going in to a Danfoss box marked as not to be removed unless power is switched off. There is a safety thermostat beside the boiler which cannot be changed - this may be frost protection / control
  • Downstairs is wet underfloor heating using a non-smart Heatmiser UH1-W receiver & 8 wireless thermostats
  • Upstairs system appears to be separate to downstairs. If I am correct the upstairs utilises a Danfoss CP715SI programmer located in the utility room which is not near the boiler (4m or so away and on opposite walls). The programmer controls the upstairs heating and hot water timings.
  • Upstairs has a single thermostat in the hall (basic Danfoss model - unclear on specific version but looks like a RMT230) controlling 9 radiators in total (1x with no TRV, 3x bathroom towel rails with TRVs and 5x standard radiators with TRVs)
  • Hot water as noted is a cylinder in a cupboard upstairs controlled by either immersion or Danfoss programmer

After some research I think a “Whole Home Bundle V3+” consisting of a wireless starter kit with 8 x universal smart radiator thermostats may be the best Tado system to integrate. I was thinking it would work as follows:

• Programmer - Wireless smart thermostat to replace the Danfoss CP715SI
  • Thermostat - Upstairs Danfoss thermostat to be replaced with included Tado
  • TRVs - 8x existing TRVs to be replaced with Tado smart ones, including those on the bathroom towel rails
  • Room level control can then be achieved between the TRVs and the app to set temperature zones and times
  • I am looking for a ‘set and forget’ system - happy to delve in to the detail to set it up and tweak it, but once it is cracked I look forward to not having to think about it too much!

On top of any feedback on the above, a few additional questions:

• Would you agree with my proposed Tado kit above as being the best fit for my situation?
  • Is there any benefit to the EU programmer over the uk one for a system boiler set up?
  • My Danfoss CP715SI is not near the boiler - can a Tado still be installed and work or does it need wired in to the boiler directly, which may be an issue given the distance? Will the safety features such as frost protection still work on the boiler?
  • Will the TRVs and app work as I hope to allow me to set temperatures and timings at room level (e.g. heat bedroom prior to bed, but bathroom at a different time, etc)
  • Can overrides be done via the hardware or is it app only - e.g. boost hot water.
  • Is installation of this a feasible DIY?
  • Are there any installation guides you can share so I can take a look at them?

I’ve uploaded a few pictures below  but happy to grab more if it’s helpful!

https://imgur.com/a/7uzDnd7

Thank you for any help you can provide - and apologies again or the long email!

Thanks

Answers

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    tado devices communicate with one another using a rather weak RF signal and no booster is available. I think this might cause you difficulty and you might want to consider an alternative system such as Wiser.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options

I am looking for a ‘set and forget’ system - happy to delve in to the detail to set it up and tweak it, but once it is cracked I look forward to not having to think about it too much!

unfortunately in a large house with a complex set up this is not likely to be the case with Tado (or most smart heating systems). I would look at installing weather compensation and keeping dumb trvs if you want something you don’t have to tweak.