Can an Extension Kit do a ZeroVolt link ?

Options
Can the Extension Kit give a ZeroVolt Volt Free connection ? Basically, if a boiler needs two pins to be shorted out to fire the boiler, can the Extension kit do such a connection, or does it just send 230v down one link ?

Best Answer

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

To power the receiver, use N L Earth.

For a voltage-free relay/switch, use COM and NO.

Answers

• championc
    Options
    Or does anyone have the pinouts for an Extension Kit ?

My gut feeling is that a relay just closes two pins creating a loop / short (hopefully)
  • championc
    Options

Exactly what I hoped and thought - happy days.

The reason for the question is that I'm planning a Heatpump installation for this summer, with a Vaillant AroTherm+. The AroTherm+ can be controlled by a "normal" ZeroVolt (Volt Free) Room Stat.

Therefore, the Extension Kit, via COM and NO, will do exactly the same thing as a Room Stat.

While most people are going from a traditional boiler which may heat for an hour in the morning and xx hours in the evenings, to a Heatpump running 24hrs - I have no intention of running the Heatpump for 24hrs. I am happy to run it for a pattern somewhat similar to a gas boiler.

I know it's won't be as efficient from a COP perspective, but it will cost far less over 24hrs than running 24 x 7