Replacing Mechanical Timer + Thermostat

Options

Hi

I have a mechanical timer controlling both hot water and heating. I also have a wired thermostat for the heating. Images attached. Can I replace my current system with the Tado V3+ with Hot water control(or any other Tado thermostat ??). And can I do that on my own or I need an expert? Are there any instructions or manuals for such a setup that I can look up before buying?

Note that I have a system boiler (not a combi boiler) with a hot water tank.

Thanks

Best Answer

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@asonthalia you need the wireless receiver to control the HW. In your existing wired room stat you will join two wires (usually on COM and NO) using a wago connector from the starter kit. Tado will give detailed wiring instructions.

Answers

• wateroakley
    Options

@asonthalia Presumably you have an S-Plan or Y-Plan heating system with zone valves and a tank stat? The Tado wireless starter kit should do the job. The wireless receiver will replace your Randall CH/HW timer, the room stat wires will need bridging.

Tado should provide wiring instructions for the installation. It's straightforward for many competent DIYers. If in any doubt, engage a professional.

You'll need a reliable internet connection/router for the internet dongle, everything is in the cloud and controlled from an app on your phone/tablet or a web browser. If you have a larger home, or thick walls, the Tado device wireless connections (not wifi) can be problematic for some users. Best to buy the kit from a reputable suplier with a simple returns policy if you find there are issues for your setup. E.g. the kit is on offer here: https://www.screwfix.com/p/tado-v3-wireless-heating-hot-water-smart-thermostat-starter-kit-white/141kt

• asonthalia
    Options

Thanks Wateroakley for your prompt response.

I understand the receiver will replace the timer. But what about the thermostat. My current thermostat is wired and this one seems wireless. How will this replace my old, wired thermostat?

Is there a wired thermostat option from Tado that also controls hot water + heating?

You mentioned Tado's wiring instructions. Can you point me to it? That should clear up things.

Thanks again for the help.

• wateroakley
    Options

You'll join two wires that go to the old room stat, so that the room stat wiring will always 'call for heat' and safely terminate any others. The old room stat itself will be redundant. The Tado wireless room stat is your new room stat. It talks to the Tado 'zone controller' (the wireless receiver) via the internet dongle.

The Tado wired room stat is 'Heating' only. It will not control the HW + Heating.

The Randall wiring move to Tado looks straightforward. However, it will depend on how the DHW COM has been wired? A picture of your Randall wiring may help clarify? Tado support should provide detailed wiring instructions when you start the install. There is a Tado professional 'App' that may answer your wiring question.