OpenTherm advantages? Should I get the EU thermostat?

Options

Hi All, I have a Valliant ecoTEC pro 28 R2.

I have just purchased the following:

1. Starter Kit - Wireless Smart Thermostat [incl. Programmer with Hot Water Control] (V3+) [UK] EAN: 4260328611807
  2. Add-on - Smart Radiator Thermostat - Quattro Pack [ML] EAN: 4260328611845

As I understand it the UK thermostat does not support OpenTherm which means I think, OpenTherm provides more precise control on the boiler by adjusting the flow temperature.

I know my Valliant boiler out of the box does not support eBus for OpenTherm but I believe there is add-on VR33 module which enables OpenTherm.

My question is should I return my Thermostat and swap for the EU model? Is there any benefits?

This is a question for Tado rep directly, If I choose to swap, can I just return the Thermostat and swap for EU version or would i have to place a whole new order?

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    Options
    Tado doesn’t check this forum. Opentherm would give you actual modulation rather than simulated, but check that your boiler supports it. If it uses ebus not all versions are supported by Tado so make sure it is before you change anything. I’m assuming your boiler is a combi? Otherwise you would probably need to use relay anyway.
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    Options

I think you need to understand that all the contributors here are tadoº users rather than employees or representatives. It's effectively an enthusiast's forum but as so often in these circumstances many of those posting here are pretty expert.

With regard to your query you could try contacting tadoº support staff at:

operator@tado-844a35e31252.intercom-mail.com

I made contact myself this way regarding another matter this morning and had a response within the hour . . .