I can't undo radiator valves

Options
Wils07
Wils07
edited January 20 in General Questions & Topics
Is anyone else having a nightmare separating the two parts of the radiator valves to change the batteries? I saw a video saying to press upwards on the bottom and twist the main part anti-clockwise but nothing happens. There's no movement at all. I've been in contact with support for over a week and they keep asking for videos showing what I'm doing but none of their suggestions have worked.

Any ideas would be very gratefully appreciated!

Thank you... Wils

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Given that most here find it fairly easy, all I can do is repeat the obvious:

You turn the bottom part not the heat-adjusting mechanism!

It's anti-clockwise when viewed from above the valve.

I tend to press down on the 'bottom part' whilst turning.

Bon Chance!

• Wils07
    Options
    Thanks, samd. Some of them work OK when I do that but others just won't budge. I think they may be faulty.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Could you try wrapping a damp (not wet) cloth fairly tightly around the area to increase your grip?

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    I’ve never been completely unable to separate the two halves of a tado TRV, but I do agree that they vary and it can sometimes prove difficult to stop the whole assembly rotating and loosening from the valve body. Perhaps it’s a manufacturing tolerance issue . . .
  • Wils07
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your replies. After a lot of emails with Tado, it turned out that the valve wasn't fixed tight enough to the radiator. After I tightened it with grips, I was able to undo it. It wouldn't go back together again after I changed the batteries, though! I had to take it off the radiator and use grips on the metal part before I could twist it back together.

I think hugbilly is right; some separate easily and others don't, so it probably is a manufacturing tolerance issue.
  • twowheels
    Options

I have exactly the same problem with several (but not all) of the valves in my house. Some come apart easily, others are a nightmare. Trying to sort a couple now which prompted coming on here. I've watched the videos but they don't explain what to do when following the instructions doesn't work. Wils07 is right the valve has to be tight on the rad which helps but it still needs a lot of weight and force. Guess I'll just have to keep trying given they are so expensive to replace 🙄

• twowheels
    Options

I would add that putting them back after replacing the batteries can be similarly difficult

• Wils07
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me but that won't be much of a comfort to you! They key is making sure the valve is tightly connect to the radiator before you try to separate the two parts. I used grips to tighten them and it did help. Some are still a bit tricky and I still think it's a rubbish design! I found a video that said if you press the bottom of the valve up with two fingers while you twist it helps. And it does - a bit.