Single circuit vs. two zones

Options

Hi, we currently have two circuits, upstairs and downstairs. Last year we had an opportunity to get Tado installed for free, but it was limited to the upstairs only. The Tado installer replaced the reciever for the upstairs circuit with wireless receiver and fitted the Tado TRVs. The downstairs kept our existing system.

We now need to get the boiler replaced and I've decided to fit Tado to the downstairs circuit as well. While the plumber was here, I've asked him to put the whole house on one circuit controlled by the existing Tado wireless receiver. But now, I'm not so sure. Whats recommended in this case, changing to one circuit controlled by one wireless receiver, or is it better to get a second wireless receiver and keep the upstairs/downstairs zones?

Comments

• davidlyall
    Options

Downside of one circuit is that you're heating the entire pipework when one room calls for heat. Separate circuits would limit this impact

You could keep both motorised valves but have them wired so they both open at the same time. That way, you could try running it as one circuit for a while but always split it into two later on if you feel like it.

In terms of wiring, you would normally have a wired smart thermostat for the upstairs circuit (it would be the Tado zone controller for the upstairs radiators) and a wireless receiver controlling the downstairs circuit (this would be the Tado zone controller for the downstairs rads)

HTH