Wireless receiver not responding to TRVs?

Options
I have four TRVs on a home network. When I turn up the heat, I hear the valve open on the TRV but the wireless receiver isn't picking up the call for heat to turn the boiler on. All devices show as connected and responsive on the app. Any ideas why it isn't working?

Answers

• cuke2u
    cuke2u ✭✭
    edited January 30
    Options

Does the CH test button work ok on the receiver and the boiler fires up?

• ELBR
    Options
    Yes it does. It turns the boiler on with the power button turning orange
  • pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

@ELBR: Did it work before, or is this a new installation?

Is the Wireless Receiver showing as connected in the app?

Is the heating zone defined for each room? If not (shows as 'Independent'), then you'll need to change this to reference the Wireless Receiver so that Tado knows to fire the boiler when heating is requested from that room

• ELBR
    Options
    It's a new installation. The wireless receiver, internet bridge and the four TRVs are all showing as connected in the app.

I have the four TRVs split across three rooms. The wireless receiver is set as the zone controller for all three rooms.

Could it be something wrong with the internet bridge between them?
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    It might be that the wireless receiver is losing contact with the bridge, in my experience the RF connection between the two is the system’s most fragile . . .
  • ELBR
    Options
    Is there a way to test that?
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

The receiver should show slow blinking LEDs if there's a problem.

• ELBR
    Options
    In that case, yes it looks like that's the issue. My challenge is it's an old house with thick walls so positioning the internet bridge closer to the receiver would mean it likely won't reach the end room TRV, hmm....
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    Options

I had a similar problem and solved it by extending the wireless receiver's cabling and moving it into a new location much nearer to the bridge. This was rather a faff to do but it has resulted in far greater reliability with almost no disconnections since.

Sadly this will continue to be a serious weakness of the tadoº system until the company introduces a signal booster but there appears to be no prospect of this . . .

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    Options

A cheap wifi extender with an ethernet port, and usb power block, would allow you to move the dongle around your home to seek a better location. Can you move the wirelsss receiver nearer by extending the wiring? We use a dumb TRV in the most distant room, that gets over the 'range' issue for us.

• ELBR
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone. We'll try extending the wireless receiver cabling and see if that helps.
  • ELBR
    Options
    We've moved the bridge into the same room as one of the TRVs, on the opposite side of the room. The wireless receiver is in the room next to there so you'd think it should have good connection but it's still showing a slow blink on the wireless receiver. Any ideas?
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m sure you have, but just checking you’ve enabled pairing on the bridge and receiver.
  • wateroakley
    Options

Always possible that the receiver is faulty. If you can hear the TRV turn on, check that the CH light on the wireless bridge turns ON to 'call for heat'. If the light doesn't turn on, then the try moving the internet bridge closer to the wireless receiver. If it's a range issue from thick walls, the alternative may be to move the wireless receiver and extend the wiring?