Where To Start - Got Rad Stats, Wireless Stat and Programmer Thing

Options

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but there's so many bits I need to put together in my head, it was getting confusing looking as so many individual results.

Wifey bought 7 radiator thermostats, a wireless smart thermostat and a wired receiver box thing-a-majig.

My task this week is to make it all work.

We're in a new build with a wired thermostat in the hall.

We have one of the newer pressurised tank thingies in a cupboard and a control panel in the the utility room that controls the hot water and the central heating.

Where the heck do I start!

Thanks,

Pat.

Answers

• wateroakley
    Options

In order to find where to start to help … what is your present heating system setup? Boiler, controls, thermostats, zone valves and configuration eg S-plan.

• Avoneer
    Options

Hi Guys, sorry - should have replied sooner. Didn't realise how good the app was and got it all fitted in the end.

Just need to figure out what the actual wall mounted remote thermostat actually does?

It's in the hall where the old wired thermostat was, and the only radiator in the house that doesn't have a TRV.

We used to leave the heating switched permanently on, but used the thermostat to actually switch it on or off and the TRV's to control the temperature of each room.

Thanks,

Pat.

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

You did what I used to do before. Set a temperature in the wall-mounted thermostat. I left the living room TRV open all the way (essentially, the wall-mounted thing was my heat controller for the living room) and the other rooms had to live off that. There was one room that was always too cold but since the living room did not need heat, that room stayed cool (unless the living room needed extra heat, it would use that). Annoyingly cold room actually...

Tado is different. The wall-mounted thing controls the gas heater (on/off) and shows the temp of whatever room it is in. You then install TRVs on every radiator. You can set the rooms to whatever and all it takes is one TRV in need of heat, it will open the valve and send a command to the wall-mounted thing to start heating until no TRV requests heat anymore.

In a nutshell. It does other things (geofence, water heater, etc.) but it allows you better control of heat while also controlling the gas heater.