Pay to use basic functionality like Open Window detection?

Options
TobberH
TobberH
edited February 28 in General Questions & Topics

This is making me seriously furious! I have just installed the Tado Thermstats and when I check in the app I find that you have to have a PAYED account for the Open Window functionality to work properly which was a promised feature when I bought the devices!

This is simply not acceptable and I really hope that this will be unlocked in the app. Disgusting how companies keep wanting to monetize basic functions on something you have already payed premium price for. This is by no means a cheap setup to begin with!

I got really heartbroken, as I was really enjoying the easy of installation and a nice app experience until this, now I just got sad and actually consider returning everything and find an alternative solution. :(

Regards, Tobias

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Have a thorough look through the Community Forum to consider what tado issues are likely to affect you....and decide whether tado is right for you.....then return for a refund.
  • davidlyall
    Options

I'm sorry you are disappointed that this functionality is not included but it is clearly stated on their website that the automated open window detection and geofencing is available as part of a subscription.

• TobberH
    Options

First of all It's really not relevant that it's stated on the website. Most people will first of all never see that, since that kind of information is usually not in the product description on an online shopping website.

Second it's still a sleezy business practice to monetize basic functionalty of an expensive product like this no matter how you put it.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You can always return it for a refund
  • davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options
    @TobberH , I disagree on both counts.

First, if you're investing a reasonable amount in a product. You should do your research. It's not tado's fault if they make the information available but you choose not to read it!

Secondly, you can't expect lifetime access to a service for free. You've bought the hardware, now pay for the extra service if you want it. Personally, i don't think it's worth it and tado works well for me.

My feeling is that tado should be entirely a subscription service including the hardware. Their business model doesn't work without a regular income
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

In the two years with Tado, we use geofencing a lot. It’s simple enough to set as we leave home and we get the reminder when we near home. We have not found it important or necessary to pay for the ‘open window’ feature or geofencing automation.

To make savings with Tado there are lots of user features and quirks to get to grip with, especially in the first few months. Our annual energy use, adjusted for outside temperature (CET), is a saving of around 45% for heating and hot water.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

The thing is, the open window functionality will never work properly unless an external sensor is added.