Tado not calling for heat

Options
We have had our set up for a good couple of years now and in the last month or so usually In the middle of the night the extension kit stops calling for heat. The only way I can seem to get it to work is to power on and off again.

We have an extension kit for the hot water and 5 trvs and a have wired thermostat.
I've contacted Tado support a few times now with little to no joy. The first two time they did a system reset and pushed some configuration. Both time it lasted about 3days then it stopped again. I contacted tado again today to which they wasn't very helpful.

Any tips and advice would be great.

Answers

• policywonk
    Options

There's something odd here. Do I presume right that you have Tado TRVs? If so, the TRVs should activate when they need heat. You'll hear them wind open. Do they still do that? If they do that, they will also instruct the extension kit to fire the boiler.

If they do, normally when one is open, it should force the extension kit to fire the boiler. If all are open and the extension kit doesnt work, I'd suspect that the extension kit is faulty.

An alternative is to use your app and force the room on by raising its temp. If nothing happens, the extension box is likely the culprit.

Now, does the kit fire the boiler when you press the CH heating override key on the extension box? It should. If it doesn't, that's another reason to believe it is faulty.

If the first identical fault happened during the warranty period, you have a right to contact the retailer and demand a replacement, especially if you still have a copy of the script that came with your exchange.

• EAS
    Options
    Hi policywonk,
    Yes we do have TRVs. The TRVs are opening at the scheduled time and also open when prompted via the app. However, when this fault occurs you can hear the TRVs opening but the boiler does not fire. Only after a hard reset does it then work. The fault doesn't seem to affect the hot water. Although this could just be that there was hot water stored in the tank from the last heat schedule. Also, I think I must have the old style extension box as there is no CH override button on the box. Only a single button in the middle for resets and pairing.

I have been back and fourth with Tado support over the past few weeks and they have come to the conclusion that it is a faulty extension box. Unfortunately, it is out of warranty as I have had it for more than two years. But thank ypu for your comment
  • DPL
    DPL
    edited March 22
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. For the last week the app says it's calling for heat, but the boiler isn't firing up. 2 hours ago I increased the temperature from 20c to 25c and it hasn't fired up. It does eventually work but it seems really inconsistent.

It's been working fine for 2 years until a week ago. Pressing the boiler symbol on the receiver fires the boiler up instantly. Nothing in the house had changed. I'm wondering if there has been a firmware update that had made it unreliable.
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    Could it be loss of signal between the bridge and the extension kit?
  • policywonk
    Options

Does the CH button on the extension kit fire the boiler? If it does, technically the extension kit is working,. If it doesnt, then the extension kit is in question. If it needs a power down and power up to kick off the boiler I'd buy another extension kit and try it out.

• Emcee
    Emcee | Admin
    Options

Hello @EAS,

First, I am sorry to read that tado° support was not able to help you fix the issue. It is indeed strange that their system re-set fixed the problem, only for it to return a few days later.

Like hugbilly, I am also wondering if the problem might be related to your Internet Bridge? Might something be obstructing it at night?

• EAS
    Options
    Hi @Emcee

I did try that. However, after tado had carried out few reset and system configuration changes with no joy. They suggested it could be the extension kit, so I've got new one to install to see if it makes a difference.
  • daniel2
    Options

I'm getting what seems like a very similar issue - for the last 2-3 days, I wake up in the morning and the heating hasn't come on. I check the app and there is a grey disconnected icon on every device (I have both smart thermostats on the radiators, a g/w and a receiver). This did used to happen very occasionally and it was the internet gateway crashing and a power cycle of just the gateway always fixed it, however in these recent cases this doesn't work and I need to power cycle the boiler / Tado receiver.

This morning I did this. Now, everything looks like its working - all devices are visible, the receiver has normal looking lights, and its connected according the lights and the app, Tado app claims everything is ok, however the receiver isn't firing the boiler. When I press the test button the boiler fires, so I assume that the receiver is working.

I've written to tado support but it sounds like they don't work over the weekend which is frustrating when the heating isn't working properly.

• Emcee
    Emcee | Admin
    Options

@daniel2 thank you very much for your suggestions!
    I am sure these will prove to useful to future community visitors 🙂