Has anyone had problems with their Drayton RT212 radiator valves?

Options

Hi, we installed Tado thermostats on Drayton RT212 radiator valves about 3 years ago and two of the RT212 valves have just failed within a week of each other, they leak water when closed off. Plumber thinks that maybe the thermostats push the pin down so hard that they are causing the valves to break. Has anyone else had this problem?

We don't know what to do, now do we replace all the valves with Drayton TR4, which could fail again, or scrap the whole Tado system and have wasted a grand?! Any help much appreciated!

Answers

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

In our experience, TRV valves will fail regardless of using the original thermostatic head or Tado. I’d be more suspicious of a similar age, not Tado. We have 24 TRVs of different flavours in two homes, Honeywell Drayton & ecocal. I’ve replaced two Honeywell valve bodies in 13 years, both weeping from the pin, both pre-Tado, and both at the same age. The other family home had 6 older valves with stuck pins that we found when fitting Tado.

• mindstorm
    Options

I've got 2 year old 212's which are fine so far but they whistle. I looked at the internals online and they aren't the same quality as the 414 so those or the TRV4.

• will66
    Options

Thanks for your responses, the plumber has changed the valves to TRV4 on those two which do seem more substantial. I guess we have to just hope that the others don't fail anytime soon, and if they do consider changing all of them to TRV4 in one go which will be quite costly. It's the time that they've lasted that's disappointing, you wouldn't expect them to fail after only 3 years. The TR212s came with the rads from Screwfix, I'll be telling the plumber not to use them from now on!