w.Intercom = i;wired or wireless tado v3+ ? — tado° Community

wired or wireless tado v3+ ?

king123
king123
edited October 10 in General Questions & Topics

I currently have oil central heating in semi deteched house with two wired thermostats.
On the programmer thats fitted, i can turn the heating on downstairs and upstairs and turn on hot water all separately

upstairs and downstairs have a wired thermostat which are active if the programmer main ac is switched on.

I done the compatibly checker on tado and it recommends the wireless tado v3+ starter kit. But if i have wired thermostat do i need a wired version ?

If i get a wired or wireless tado kit with 1x thermostat, would the non-tado thermostat still work or would it need replaced as well ?

Also do i need the tado programmer if i go wired, can i just get the wired tado thermostat and will that work with my existing programmer ? (need a internet bridge as well ?)

Answers

• Just checking the logic:
    1. The downstairs thermostat turns on the radiators downstairs, but does not turn the rads on upstairs.
    2. The programmer downstairs has three channels, (i) downstairs CH (ii) upstairs CH (iii) HW.
    3. The oil fired boiler is a system boiler and has either two or three motorised zone valves in place.
    4. The wiring all concentrates though a wiring centre somewhere likely near the boiler or the zone valves.

Would you confirm what of this list is correct, what isn't, and provide the make/ models of the stats and programmer?
  • 1 and 2 is correct.
    Hw can only be switched on from the programmer.

Ideally i would like the tado to turn on the heating and hot water, but i was reading tado only has two zones?
    So i would need to link zone 1 and 2 (downstairs and upstairs together?) and then use zone 2 as hw.

Hot water tank - ariston wrc-nsf unvented hot water storage system (in hot press upstairs)

Programmer - horstmann channel plus h37xl
    Boiler- riello 3 burners RDB (2.2 21-26) (programmer and boiler downstairs in utility room)

Photo of wired thermosat (same one upstairs and downstairs) no branding on it.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jpdTAwpXyS9PAw3v7

Thanks in advance
  • policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    edited October 20
    Don't worry about there being three channels. It initially confused me when I moved to one house with this setting, but it is actually not difficult to understand.
    Please check and confirm this:
    1 There is only one pump from the boiler.
    2. If you follow the output side of the pump it goes to either 2 or 3 junctions with motorised valves on them, probably made by honeywell.
    3. Somewhere near those valves should be a wiring centre. About 6 x 8 inches in size, a rectangular box. Maybe larger. It it supplies cables to the boiler, the pump, those valves, and feeds the programmer and thermostats.
    4. You should be able to trace the wires from the thermostats and programmer to that wiring box.
    If most of this is true, it is likely you need
    A) Two Wired Tado thermostats.
    B) One Tado extension kit.
    C) with one Internet bridge.

You will need someone who knows how to rewire the wiring box so that:
    i) the CH side of the extension box fires CH for both downstairs and upstairs.
    ii) the downstairs thermostat then decided if it wants heat downstairs and opens flow to the downstairs rad loop and wakes up the boiler
    iii) the upstairs stat does a similar thing for upstairs.
    iv) If both floors need it the boiler will be on until both floors no longer need it.
    v) If HW is needed it also opens a HW zone valve to the HW tank.
    When you replace the old programmer and stats it goes like this.
    * the old stats are replaced with the new stats.
    * The programmer is dismounted, and you have to have someone who understands heating wiring so that the extension box replaces it.

There will be care needed in the wiring centre because the sparkie will need to know the following.
    1. The wired stats will trigger the zone valves as before.
    2. They wirelessly tell the extension box to turn on heat either in CH or HW or both.
    3. The zone valve will be activated to open by the stats and let the heat through.