w.Intercom = i;Multiple wireless thermostats for whole home - which one takes precedence? — tado° Community

Multiple wireless thermostats for whole home - which one takes precedence?

I recently installed Tado for my combi boiler central heating and I am having trouble with it.

I have one wired smart thermostat connected directly to my boiler, plus one additional wireless temperature sensor mounted in the living room. I don't have any smart TRVs.

I want the wireless living room sensor to be the only driver for the heating. The wired thermostat should be ignored; essentially it is just acting as a gateway to the boiler. (I was forced to use a wired smart thermostat for this purpose because Tado has made the frustrating decision to only provide OpenTherm connections on the wired version).

Anyway, I set the wired stat to "Off" in the schedule and set a target temp of 22C for the wireless one, but my heating did not turn on even though it was cold.

My assumption was that as long as at least one sensor was below its target temperature, the heating would be switched on, but maybe this isn't the case?

Does the wired thermostat somehow take precedence over the wireless one?

Best Answers

• macaroon
    macaroon
    Answer ✓

Just wanted to add, on the Tado help pages I see this:

When controlling multiple rooms individually with tado°, each room can issue a call for heat to the boiler through the Smart Thermostat or Wireless Temperature Sensor.

So it looks like my assumption is correct - it should be possible to set the wired thermostat to "Off" and the wireless sensor to 22C and the heating should still come on (but it's not).

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@macaroon if you open the app and click Settings then Rooms & devices. Click on the Lounge, and scroll to the bottom, set the Zone Controller to be the wired thermostat.

That way the wireless temperature sensor will know to request the wired thermostat to fire the boiler.

Answers

• Makes sense to me completely
  • Thanks @cbd20; that worked.

I really do wonder why this instruction isn't front and centre in the app when installing an additional temp sensor.