Really struggling with radiiator valves - inaccurate and have a mind of their own

Options

I'm new to Tado having setup the basic thermostat about a month ago. At first using just that I was impressed however since adding some radiator valves the system isn't working well.

I've bought 8 valves but only installed 2, for now if two bedrooms so I can test them out. The main issue is the inaccuracy of the temperature sensor. I now realise this is a known issue and have tried offsetting the value but it's hard to manage what temperature the rooms should be set too because it under and over reads!

My daughters room sits between 15 and 22 degrees when measuring the temp via a (known good) digital thermometer, however Tado reads 12 at the coldest and 25 at the warmest so an offset is useless. I can't mount the valve horizontally nor do I want to change the plumbing as I've got 25 radiators in total so it's just not a viable option.

My other issue is that the schedules are 'sometimes' ignored. While sleeping my bedroom is set to 16 degrees yet for some reason at 12:30am this morning both bedrooms ramped up to 20 degrees. With a winder duvet, waking up in a sweat at 1am then having to sort out the heating isn't ideal. I also had to make sure my 1 year old daughter was OK as she's in a winter sleeping bag.

Are there going to be any firmware fixes or remote temp probes (not the ridiculous idea of buying another thermostat)?

I'm going the system a few more weeks before ripping it out and sending it back. I really want to love Tado but I'd rather go back to a dumb system at this stage.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Answers

• datoon
    Options

I've found that sometimes the thermostatic radiator valves become stuck open.

I pop off the thermostat and take the batteries out for 30 seconds then put it back on. Usually this sorts out any calibration issues.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello

In terms of remote temp probe, I don't think there is any indication on here that such a device is in the offing.

Could you please expand on the actual values you mention in paragraphs 3 & 4 above. I cannot reconcile the 20 deg in para 4 with the data in para 3. Might help if you included the actual smart schedule settings for both rooms on the day in question and by how much it varied?

• nasop
    Options

@datoon The valves still work as I manually closed the valve in the early hours via the app.

@samd Essentially if I set my daughters room to 16 degrees on Tado it's actually around 14 degrees and if I set it to 20 degrees on Tado the room is actually 25 degrees. So Tado is under and over reads at both ends of the scale.

The smart schedule is set to keep the room at 16 degrees from 10pm until 6am however last night at 12:30am it was set on the app to 20 degrees contradicting the smart schedule. It looked like it had been manually set however I'm the only one with control and it didn't have the usual 'active until X time on the app.

Hope that explains it better?

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@nasop Thanks - explains it well.

The smart schedule is set to keep the room at 16 degrees from 10pm until 6am however last night at 12:30am it was set on the app to 20 degrees contradicting the smart schedule. It looked like it had been manually set however I'm the only one with control and it didn't have the usual 'active until X time on the app.

Blimey - have you considered Ghost Busters?😘

Seriously, that doesn't sound like anything I have read on here and I really struggle to think of anything that may have caused it. Well worth email support I think.

• nasop
    Options

Thanks @samd. I could live with the random 'ghost intervention' if the valves were accurate. My gas bill is crazy - Moved into the 'forever' house which is around 2800 square feet of 1900's thick brick walls with zero insulation, so having a economical and flexible heating system would be a great addition.

I'll email support.