Can the Smart TRV set work with the Extension Kit alone, or does it need the Smart Thermostat also?

Just bought smart TRV starter kit (2 TRV's & ethernet bridge) and another 8 TRV's for an HMO property. All working great but as tenants work individual shifts there's time just one room is occupied - i'm seeking a way to have any of the TRV's fire the boiler as opposed to relying on the current original wireless stat to keep the boiler alive for any rad stat demanding heat at any time. I believe the extension kit can achieve this but will this work alone or does it have to have the smart thermostat also? (i don't need an extra stat as all rooms have smart TRV's). Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

Do you not have a tado Room stat controlling the boiler? If you do the default is to require that stat to be on in order to allow other devices to call for heat. That default is easily changed to give primacy to all devices - just use the chat line and ask it to be changed.

• Thanks Sam, no I just have the smart TRVs operating remotely via the app, and therefore boiler is controlled via existing (non-WiFi) wireless room stat

I’m seeking to take that stat out & add the extension kit so theory the extension kit picks up call for heat & fires boiler via smart TRV app signal as I assume extension kit is also remotely connected to Tado server/app via the home WiFi

I assume that’s how the ‘Tado smart thermostat’ works but Ideally I don’t need that extra physical Tado smart thermostat as all rooms have smart trvs
    Wondering if I can add the extension kit alone to get the boiler connected to WiFi/app and let the smart TRV fire vis the app (without extra room stat) ?

Cheers
  • Thanks Sam, no I just have the smart TRVs operating remotely via the app, and therefore boiler is controlled via existing (non-WiFi) wireless room stat

I’m seeking to take that stat out & add the extension kit so theory the extension kit picks up call for heat & fires boiler via smart TRV app signal as I assume extension kit is also remotely connected to Tado server/app via the home WiFi

I assume that’s how the ‘Tado smart thermostat’ works but Ideally I don’t need that extra physical Tado smart thermostat as all rooms have smart trvs
    Wondering if I can add the extension kit alone to get the boiler connected to WiFi/app and let the smart TRV fire vis the app (without extra room stat) ?

Cheers
  • Thanks Sam, & also Catfunt.

Yes did see the paragraph mentioned though wondered if it were possible somehow as don’t need room stat
    I do however take the comment that the room stat is likely more accurate etc so think best solution is to simply swap out one the existing TRV rooms with room stat

Thanks again for all input - (& Merry Christmas)
  • Thanks Sam, & also Catfunt.

Yes did see the paragraph mentioned though wondered if it were possible somehow as don’t need room stat
    I do however take the comment that the room stat is likely more accurate etc so think best solution is to simply swap out one the existing TRV rooms with room stat

Thanks again for all input - (& Merry Christmas)