Thermostats to control TRV

I’ve got a 4 way underfloor heating manifold (under the stairs), that I want the smart radiator heads to control each output on the manifold, is there a way of adding a smart thermostat in each room that will control the smart TRV on the underfloor heating manifold.

Thanks

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

@OWThompson_1990 Hello - I know nothing about under floor heating but regardless of that caveat, any tado smart TRV can be its own temperature measuring device OR it can use another Smart TRV OR any Room thermostat (including the boiler control room thermostat) as its measuring device to regulate the water supply. Not sure if that answers your question?

• I think I get what you mean, I want to set up the smart room thermostat to wirelessly control the room temperature and to send control and heating commands to the smart TRV on the underfloor heating and not use the smart TRV as the temperature sensor, just use it as a motorised head basically. Can this be done? I can’t work our how to do it.
    Thanks
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Sounds feasible but does your manifold currently have manual TRVs which can be replaced by tado versions or are you looking for a way to control motorised valves? If the latter it's not my knowledge area!

Do you currently have any tado devices?

• @samd Yes the first one, so I can fit the Tado TRVs to the manifold and use a Tado thermostat in a room.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@OWThompson_1990 Yes a tado smart TRV can be controlled by a smart thermostat. To do so you would use the app to set up, for example, Dining Room containing the appropriate tado trv (located in the manifold) and the appropriate room thermostat (Located the Dining Room)..and so on. Tado has no idea about ACTUAL locations nor does it need to know. One of those Room Thermostats would need to double up as boiler-control.

Can I ask again if you currently have any tados or is this good planning?

• I can’t see how to do it in the app, I might have to factory reset it and set it up again to see if I’ve missed something or selected the wrong options? I bought a couple of TRVs, 1 thermostat and the bridge to play with to see if it worked what I wanted it to do, sounds like it does, I just need to work it out now :)
  • @samd I’ve sorted it! Thanks :D I found how to do it, simple when you know how 😂
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

Good news - thanks for the feedback.

• OWThompson - can you tell us HOW you did it? (If it is not too much trouble.). I have a similar problem - I know what I want to do but just cant see my way round the app to do it.

Thanks in advance.

• I have a similar problem to solve.

I would like to remove the stats from the UFH design and use tado stats. I have 10s of Tado TRVs, and wondered if these can be put onto the manifolds to replace the accuators?

Has anyone ever done this, I have used Stats to contol TRVs in the past, but curious how far the UFH system controls go with Tado.

Thanks

Craig

• I have a similar problem. TRVs could work as actuators but how are they going to turn on the UFH pump? Can anyone help? Thx