Boiler programmer on or off

Options

Hi guys

just about to purchase a thermostat starter kit and 4 rad stats, My boiler has a remote programmer and thermostat now I know the remote thermostat will be replaced with the Tado thermostat but what should I do with the programmer, should I leave in the timer mode or would it be best to set the programmer to permanent on ?

thanks

Answers

• JerryK
    JerryK
    edited February 2020
    Options

I have a similar arrangement but I am using the smart thermostat to control the boiler and pump directly so the sensors in the smart and rad stats determine when heat is required and switch the boiler/pump accordingly. So in effect I am replacing both the timer AND the programmer with tado. tado's smart schedule is easier to manage than most programmers/timers. Main significant drawback is that switching to Home or Away mode is tricky unless combined with Geolocation - you have to leave or reach your property before the relevant button appears on the App! Crazy but true!

My tado can be switched off in summer too. Possibly by switching to Away mode for the whole season until I want heating again. Or I could just kill the main switch feeding my heating system.

I am upgrading to an extension unit to control my water heating, but that's a separate story! 😀

• XeonJa
    Options
    If you have a combi just get rid of the programmer as it is not required. Otherwise leave it on constant for heating and use the programmer for the hot water timers