Connection issue - Smart Radiator Valve

I've had Tado installed for over a year, including Smart radiator valves throughout the house. Initial connection problems with some valves were solved by moving the Bridge to the centre of the house (upstairs) and it has been working well for months. Recently, one of my downstairs radiator valves started to fail to connect to the system. After a bit of trial and error, I swapped the valve with another one in the house and now the replacement is failing to connect. This suggests that the location is the problem, rather than the specific valve. It's strange that this connection problem in this specific room had just started after working well for months - I haven't moved the Bridge or changed anything else. I'm not sure what else to try, except moving the Bridge again to be a bit closer to the problem valve (not easy) or maybe trying a new Bridge in case the old one is faulty.

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@CuparArab It reads as though the replacement worked for a while and then stopped (but I may have that wrong) and if so then it could point to TRV battery change needed - have you tried that?

• Hi. Fresh batteries are in use. Trial and error suggests that whatever valve I fit to that radiator, the signal is not reliable. The strange thing is that it hasn't been an issue since I set the system up over a year ago so something has degraded the communication between bridge and that radiator. I guess I can try to reposition the Bridge but as it's wired only, there is limited scope for that. Alternatively, maybe my Bridge is at fault. Without having another bridge to try, I can't be sure.
  • If you look at the temperature log profile, does it shows the temperature is dropping off, i.e no temperature recorded? Also the heating control is really slow response, i.e when demand to switch on or off the heating, it is not 100 reliable.
    My rad thermostat started to do this and I suspect the rad thermostat is starting to fail.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@CuparArab Loss of connection doesn't mean you can't control the TRV locally. If you set the TRV (on the TRV) to your 'normal' temperature, how does it behave?