Additional Smart Thermostat installation

Hi guys,

I purchased two additional smart thermostats to make up for the poor TRV measuring.
The issue is, after adding them to the system everything stopped working. Basically the extension kit does not seem to receive any heat requests / is stuck in some kind of manual mode.
Does anybody know how the Smart Thermostats should be configured in this setup? Is it even possible without tado support?
It feels kind of stupid freezing over after adding more devices to the system...

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Andrei

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@andreig1978 What have you done with your original Smart thermostat which controls the boiler?

• Nothing. It is still assigned as measuring device for my kid's room.
  • I should have mentioned that it controls the boiler through an extension kit.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

Have you tried disabling your new Stats by removing the batteries?

• andreig1978
    andreig1978 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Yes. I ended up disabling them and then restarting my old stat and the system started working again.
    Thank you for your help @samd.
    Now I am waiting for tado support to see if they can help me integrate the new stats.
    After that I will post here on my experience.
    I am quite disappointed with the lack of transparency on this. I would have been fine with a simple warning on the box of the additional smart thermostat (emphasis on additional): do NOT attempt to install it yourself because you cannot. I was 100% sure it would simply work out of the box: add it to the room, set it as measuring device and done.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@andreig1978 Don't knock yourself on this. Putting in additional stats SHOULD work with no problem. I put additional stats in my system with no problem. Suspect one might be faulty?

• Im having the same issue. My starter kit and the extension unit work perfectly. However, I've added an smart thermostat in my bedroom but its not triggering the boiler i.e. I've set the temp in my bedroom for 23'c and the room temp is now 20'c; the new thermostat has correctly determined the room temp but the boiler is not coming on. In my hallway, I've set the same settings and the hallway ambient temp is 22'c and the boiler turns on.

I don't quite understand what seems to be the problem. The tado app has correctly added all the devices.

Any advice?

Should I restart the extension unit ?

Im very new to all of this.

• Hi all,

@Haresh
    Did you have a smart thermostat before this? Or just TRVs?
    Did you set the new stat as measuring device for your bedroom?
    Is the extension kit's led breathing/pulsing slowly?
    And last but not least, did you open a support ticket?

It turns out that my "new" thermostats come from a very old batch and in consequence they have a very old firmware (24.1). To play nice with the rest of the system they need to be updated to a newer firmware - which requires the intervention of the support team.
    I cannot confirm yet that the issue was fixed because after instructing me on what I need to do I never heard from them again. But these are difficult times so I can't hold it against them. Keeping my fingers crossed for a resolution today.

Best,
    Andrei
  • Haresh
    Haresh
    edited April 2020
    Hi @andreig1978 , I had the smart thermostat and extension installed professionally by a local electrician a few months ago. I added an additional smart thermostat in my master bedroom a few days ago.

All devices were successfully added to my tado account.

All devices have the latest firmware.

The extension unit is pulsing slowly.

I’ve purchased 8 TRV but not installed them yet.

Any ideas? I will open a ticket today.

One more question, I’ve read that TRV have a small design issue where they are picking up the temp from the radiator and not the room ambient temp. Therefore, in my master bedroom which has the smart thermostat and then it will have a TRV; will the TRV work with the smart thermostat and keep the room warm? I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks for your responses.
  • Hi

So my issue was resolved by contacting Tado. They were able to update the configuration remotely and now my second smart thermostat works perfectly.

Thank you everyone.