Vaillant 631 vr65 does Tado do proper modulation now?

Options

I have a Vaillant 631 with vr65 & vr470f (its actually currently using vr66 with vsmart).

Does Tado do proper modulation now?

i did purchase a full solution last year and returned as much as i can as modulation didn't work.

i have seen some comments that it does work, but nothing that provides me with confidence that its actually modulating and not just on off.

anyone have some definitive info that modulation works with vr65?

Answers

• Have to say I've set up a ecotec 630 with a vr65 and whilst it works in terms of turning the boiler on and off, opening the valves etc. Support insist it isn't working at all (they aren't getting data back) and I also not convinced it is modulating properly. Other people on the forums seem to have got it working so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Tado obviously can do proper modulation just not sure they do it over ebus in the UK. Someone tell me I'm wrong please!
  • SmsCumb
    Options

Heating is not my thing but try the Heat Geek video on choosing a smart thermostat as in the comments it says that Tado have changed their system in the uk and don’t include bus control so now have no modulation capability

https://www.heatgeek.com/must-watch-before-choosing-a-smart-thermostat/

• Floob
    Options

Yes, the UK ones dont seem to come with digital connections for Opentherm anymore. But the EU ones do, so you can buy that.

• So after a couple of weeks I can say for sure that it IS modulating the boiler via ebus. It requests temperatures as low as 33 degrees.

I think whilst it's learning the heat response of the house it doesn't actually do this, it seemed to take a week or so before it started doing it.

So vr65 with ecotec 630. Hot water cylinder. All controlled via tado using the older extension kit. Modulation on a system boiler. Exactly what support tell you you want have 🤦

Glad it works though!
  • autolycus
    Options

@RonnyJodgers Is your Vr65 setup still working and modulating correctly - for both heating and hot water?

I'm about to buy a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 630 (is that the same as you've got?) and want to use my V3 Extension Kit with it in eBus/modulating mode.

Based on what you've said above, am I right in thinking that if I can find an old VR65 unit to purchase then I'll be ok?

• @RonnyJodgers

Also did you have to engage support to get it to work or did it just work & what versions of kit did you use.

Glad it’s running. I may attempt this again over the weekend
  • prad
    Options
    @Chris_topher How did you get on? I've got the same setup as @RonnyJodgers and trying to figure out if I should invest in the tado kit