Wired Thermostat and the addition of Smart TRVs

Options

Hi,

I installed an extension kit and wired thermostat last year to allow the improved control of both my central heating and hot water. This thermostat replaced a traditional stat located centrally in the hall. I have 15 radiators which all have a mechanical std TRVs fitted. I intended to replace these valves gradually as I wasn't in a position to outlay the cost for a full set of smart TRVs. I bought and fitted the first one today and it didn't perform as expected. I was rather hoping that irrespective of the demand on the 'central' stat the new Tado rad valve would provide a demand on the boiler after it opened the zone valve. I was aware that in doing so other rads which do not have smart control would come on too as they are obviously on the same circuit. I was planning on phasing these rads in as and when i could afford their replacement. I have spoken to Tado today and they inform me (although I didn't really understand why) this is not possible as the central thermostat controls the zone valve and the new TRV is not able to communicate with the boiler to open the zone valve and light the boiler. I am slightly confused as I assumed many central heating systems are similar to this. Tado suggested I have the boiler rewired (?). I would also say that I have 3 underfloor heating systems running from the same boiler, controlled by individual Tado (wired) thermostats and they all work fine - but they do each have a separate zone valve.

Hope this isn't too confusing - I know little about boilers and central heating systems.

Any suggestions on a way forward? Tado suggested that I could have the TRVs as just dumb stats which don't create a demand but basically function as my old (mechanical) TRVs.

Sorry if this has been brought up in previous threads but I couldn't see anything that seemed to query a similar issue.

Kindest Regards,

PLS