Alexa/Echo skills issue? Light off command triggering heating off instead?

Options

Hi, it only started to happen today.

I have "Nursery" set as the room name in Tado, and "Nursery" as room name in Hue. It works before when I called "Alexa, light off in Nursery". But tonight, all of a sudden, it is turning of my heating (tado) instead of the lights.

I tried deleting all the devices in my Alexa app and re-discover, redo all my setup and skills. Still the same behaviour.

Not sure I should contact Amazon, Philips or Tado ... 😭

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Hi @jw0ng02

Alexa is clever but she/it gets confused if you have the same name for two separate smart functions.

You need to change the name for "nursery" in one of the smart functions.

For example you could 'rename' the nursery to the name of your child for either lighting or heating.........this will sort out the problem.

As an example in my bathroom.......the heating is "bathroom" and the lights are "toilet".

• jw0ng02
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried everything, really.

renaming in Alexa App only, renaming the room on Tado app/portal. All failed.

But the strangest thing is that it was working the day before.

I eventually "sort it out" by a workaround - taking the tado thermostat (rooms) out of the Alexa App Room. This way, when I say "turn off Nursery light", only the nursery light turned off, the thermostat remains active, even though they are both (tado and Hue room) named as Nursery. weirdo, but works for my use case at least.

• Kingsley
    Options
    I've had this exact same problem recently, I asked Alexa to turn on the lights in the living room only to find the heating on. It's the same in the en suite too, I ask Alexa to turn the lights on and you can hear the TRVs wirring into life. Very frustrating.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @Kingsley,

You should "definitely" check that your Alexa "light" room names are different to your Alexa "thermostat" room names.... otherwise Alexa cannot differentiate between the two and will action both.