Tado ignores set temperature

Options

Hi!

Although I had tado for some time it wasn’t until recently that I got it installed. So I am a new user of it...

Today I noticed that even though the temperature was reached tado was still heating as you can see from the attached image with the wavy signs. Any ideas why?

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @giwrgis,
    It is not uncommon for your system to 'slightly' overshoot the 'set' temperature.
    However if your system overshoot your 'set' temperature by a relatively large amount, then I would raise the issue with Tado support.
    I hope this helps.
  • GoodBranch
    Options

Hi

This is what I received in explaining why this happens:

" This is completely normal.

The tado° Smart Thermostat is a PID controlled thermostat. This means that tado° not only looks at the current temperature but also at the overall temperature trend.

In other words, it will turn the heating on until the room temperature increases just above the set-point. Then the heating will remain off until the temperature starts to drop.

In doing this, tado° can prevent your heating from switching on and off too frequently and thereby protect the boiler from excessive wear and tear. It is also much more efficient in terms of energy usage.

It can also happen that, when tado° notices the temperature is dropping very quickly, it will start to heat in order to prevent the temperature from dropping too far below the set-point, even though the current temperature is above the set-point.

Further information on PID control theory can be found on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

• giwrgis
    Options

Hello and thank you both @GrayDav4276 and @GoodBranch for your contributing and trying to explain what is going on.

What I have in my installation is an old (around 20years) DeDietrich boiler and I have replaced my old "dump" thermostat with this new "smart" Tado. So I have to also change my way of thinking and either become "smarter" or trust more the "smart" devices. I am perfectly fine with that as long as I am convinced that Tado is functioning properly and everything works as expected.

Having said that I am still worried/wondering why there are 2 wave signs on the first image and one wave sign on the second, after some time.

I have seen somewhere in Tado this: https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3478984-how-do-i-know-how-often-tado-turns-my-heating-system-on-and-off

and according to my understanding I believe that I am on a relay system which means either ON or OFF and not different heat requests. So I am still wondering what was really happening at the times of the screenshots? Was it ON? OFF? or something else and what?

Kind regards,

G.