How to change the hot water temperature in the APP?

Options

Hi, today I installed Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3 + with Hot Water Control, I managed to connect them all to WiFi, the problem I have is that I can't change the hot water temperature using the application. My boiler is Vaillant ecoTECPLUS 831. How can I solve this problem?

Best Answer

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Dumitrel,
    I suspect that your installation is not correctly connected /set up.
    You should go over the installation again, it is too easy to misinterpret the instructions.
    I had to check my install (with Tado support) about 4 times before I understood what I had done wrong.
    I hadn't connected the Extension kit properly.....so easy to 'assume' that you have done it correctly, but connect it wrongly.

Answers

• Toasty
    Options

I didn’t think you could control hot water temperature with tadoº, just turn it on or off. Isn’t there a thermostat on your hot water tank that is still wired into the heating circuit that controls the relay too?

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @Toasty,
    My boiler is a combi....and I can set up a full schedule in the App, including time and temperature.
    I can also alter the temperature via my Alexa.
  • Toasty
    Options
    How interesting @GrayDav4276. I must admit I skimmed over the combi bit. I went by the V3 kit and the installer instructions because I just installed one on a non combi system recently. They show how the receiver uses the cylinder stat for hot water temperature with a tank. In the case of a combi, the hot water control is not wired up. https://www.tado.com/start/manuals/st/Wireless%20Smart%20Thermostat%20Incl.%20Programmer%20with%20Hot%20Water%20Control%20Manual.pdf

Didn’t know you could set hot water temperature remotely on a combi via the extension kit. Can’t do that on mine. The hot water is always on if you open a hot tap.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hi @Toasty,
    On your home page....do you have a tile for 'Hot Water'......I have on mine, which allows full control via setting a schedule, including setting a temperature, and therefore 'OFF' if desired.
    I agree with you that with a Combi boiler you 'should' simply be able to operate the Hot water by turning on the tap (as any Combi boiler).
    It's highly possible that Tado sold me an Extension kit that I didn't actually need??
    But my installation instructions included instructions for the Extension kit.....I presume that Tado were trying to replicate my original Viessmann wireless Thermostat controller, which had the ability to switch on/off the Hot water.....originally the water temperature could only be 'set/adjusted' by the front panel controller of the boiler.
    So it is possible that I bought the Extension kit, but didn't actually need it ?? 🤔 However (as a control freak) I'm happy with the 'extra' control that I have....for example Hot water set to 38° during the day for washing a few dishes etc.....then "Alexa set Hot water to 46°....for bath/shower. Therefore the boiler isn't overheating the required water. It's probably only a small saving over a year....but every little helps.
  • Toasty
    Options
    I have the hot water tile, but it only allows me to set the schedule for it, not the temperature.

The extension kit would have indeed replaced your old thermostat’s direct control over the boiler for heating. Tadoº can’t work without that, so you definitely needed it. I can only presume that your boiler permits electrical control of the hot water temperature. I’ve just never heard of that.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

Hey @Toasty ,

I read lots of stuff on here that I was unaware of tbh (some of it good - some of it downright stupid) .

The truth is that most of us have different systems (boilers/thermostat/controller) and Tado do their best to supply the Installation Instructions that are appropriate for our systems.

I do get frustrated when some people 'complain' about silly little matters.....but hey it's a funny old life we live.

• Toasty
    Options

Thanks @GrayDav4276. The boilers that I have experience installing tadoº on are all old, cheap or both. 🤣 None of them have that low-voltage control stuff that yours seems to. All part of the learning experience.

Options

Hi Gary this is exactly what I want to be able to do .I currently can’t. I guess I need to wire the canbus or low voltage. My installers said it couldn’t be done.

• canary
    Options

Hi all

#I have a s plan condensing boiler with a hot water tank thermostat. I had TADO fitted by a qualified electrician who replaced my old programmer with TADO. The hot water is very hot and i want to reduce the temperature. I have tried adjusting the original tank stat but it does not seem to make any difference. I have tried to use the TADO room stat but I cannot bring up any temperature to adjust fro the hot water the option is only on or off. In teh TADO app there is no option in teh hot water tile to adjust temperature of teh hot water only the scheduled times i.e on/off

Looking at the wiring diagram in teh enclosed TADO instructions foro my boiler sytem and set up there is a connection between the tank stat and the TADO unit is it possible that it has not been wired correctly??

Any help gratefully received