Tado Installation inplace of timer

bobmac01
bobmac01
edited December 2020 in General Questions & Topics

Hi all,

Just got myself a Tado V3+ starter kit with another couple of rad valves. Installed everything and for some reason I can not get the Thermostat to work with the boiler. My boiler is a Ideal Combi Max 35kwh which is supported by Tado but it's just not wanting to work along with it.

I have ym internet bridge in and working fine. Thermostat and all the vales show on the app and change when requested so I don't think my issue is the tech side of it. When I swapped out my original timer I took note of the connections and installed them the same way on Tado.

When the Tado is on and wired to the boiler, it just doesn't kick start the boiler on or off. I've tried to contact Tado directly a couple of times now and I feel they are either very unstaffed going by other people queries or just have a long delay in replying.

For reference my timer i replaced was a Danfloss T710 and it worked fine with the boiler previously as it's a complete new installation within the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm starting to think my thermostat unit is faulty now.

Answers

• Which starter kit do you have?

You may have already investigated this, but if your old thermostat or controller is still wired in then tadoº won’t work properly. I installed another system recently and mistakenly assumed that I had disabled the old thermostat. Turned out that there was a wireless receiver still connected to boiler but hidden from view. It caused some very strange results indeed.

• Csaba
    Csaba
    edited December 2020

try to replace wire going to boiler. I also had a problem, my boiler wall socket pulls out, turns it over. Mine mains AC 230V

• @Toasty

Yeah I've removed the timer completely. That's all out of the way.

• @Csaba

I don't think the cable is an issue as when I plug the timer back in it works like before. Definitely something to do with the Tado thermostat unit.

• Hi @Csaba,
    I honestly don't think that the Tado Smart Thermostat is at fault....it is very likely that you have not connected the Extension kit correctly. When I installed my setup to my Viessmann boiler.....i thought that I had done it correctly, however the original Viessmann wireless receiver unit was still connected, and even though I had fully removed the Viessmann wireless thermostat (batteries out) the system would not operate correctly.
    The (boiler) wireless receiver must be either removed or at the very least have the connector cable disconnected. Your extension kit is (usually) then connected to control the wireless thermostat function.
    It sometimes feels a bit counter intuitive to have to remove the receiver when you have already removed the transmitter....but that's the way it works.
    Perhaps you should keep on at Tado support for clarification on the physical connections and removals etc.
  • @bobmac01 you refer to the thing you removed as a ‘timer’, was it a thermostat receiver too? I couldn’t find much when I googled the model number you gave.

• @Toasty

It's a Programmer/Timer. Basically lets me set up the boiler to kick in and off at scheduled times during the day. The temperature wasn't controlled via that programmer as I didn't have a thermostat as such.

• I see. Sounds like the Wireless Receiver (if that’s what you have) isn’t connected properly. Don’t know if you have seen them, but while you wait for help from tadoº, the professional installer manuals helped me verify I had connected mine correctly: https://www.tado.com/professional-manuals.

• @Toasty

Ah it's the wired thermostat I have so it's wired directly to the boiler. It's very strange and a tad annoying. Thanks for your help, I'll have a nosey over the manuals.

• Glad to have given you a clue @bobmac01. You might want to check you have bought the right product to match your old installation before proceeding.