Wireless thermostat not controlling boiler

Options
I have an Ideal Logic 15 System Boiler which had a Danfoss controller for heating only (water is always on) and a wired thermostat in another room. I’ve replaced the controller with the wireless receiver following all instructions but it won’t control the boiler. I have TRV that call for heat but won’t work unless the wireless receiver can turn the boiler on. I’ve replaced the room thermostat with a tado one and this hasn’t helped. The room thermostat has to be on for the heating to work.

Whilst not in the instructions I have tried blocking/connecting the wired thermostat but this keeps the boiler on continuously with no way to turn it off.

I’ve reached out to Tado on the 24th but due to holidays no reply yet. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• morgan2567
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It’s now working. The wiring was correct. Tado finally responded this morning and needed to configure the device their end for it to work. Nothing we could’ve done this end.

Answers

• phil_tann
    Options

i would imagine the wired thermostat should be removed when you installed the wireless receiver. If you set the wired therm to max then adjust the TRV to turn on and off dow the boiler also turn on/off

• morgan2567
    Options
    The wireless receiver can’t seem to control the boiler. When the heating is on max (or wires connected), the receiver can’t turn the boiler off. The only way to get the heating to work is to keep the wired thermostat and to turn it on every time I want any of the radiators on.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @morgan2567,
    I'm sorry to say that you have very probably incorrectly installed your TADO devices. I'm sure that you feel that you have done it correctly........but, talking from my own experience (I had to check with Tado support on 4 or 5 occasions until I 'fully understood' the intricacies/simplicity of the installation....especially the Extension Kit....and the 'removal' of the original controller items)
    Please don't think that I am being condescending......I was absolutely convinced that I was doing it right, and the Tado Installation Instructions were not 'right'.......I was wrong.....my system works correctly now.
    I recommend that you check with Tado Support again, and re-evaluate the instructions, using a fresh view of what is needed to make your system work properly.
    Good Luck 🤞
  • morgan2567
    Options
    Thanks GrayDav. You’re not condescending at all and I appreciate all feedback.

My first thought was my error. I’ve reinstalled the wiring several times before I posted and I feel it’s correct. The instructions don’t take into account my wired thermostat so I assume there’s an instruction missing or the NO/NC wires might need swapping. Maybe a loose connection in the wall but I don’t think it would be this. I didn’t want to risk connecting something wrong and damaging the receiver.

I’ve sent Tado a chaser message (one of many) but as others have said on this forum, they’re bad at replying at the best of time so after a marketing campaign over Christmas, I don’t know how long it’ll be before they’ll get back to me
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

Hey @morgan2567,

I'm sorry to say that I'm convinced that the installation is not correct. Not really sure about the original wired thermostat still being connected.......that could be why it's not included in the instructions.......

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Hey @morgan2567,

I don't suppose Tado Support have told you exactly what they did to your system. They never seem to expand on what they do, when they are required to 'step in' to sort out some issues.

It's great that they have 'sorted it for you' but it would be nice for other customers (including yourself) to understand what the issue actually was. Tado feedback is very, very poor......imho

• morgan2567
    Options
    I totally agree. I had seen a previous post where someone appeared to have a similar issue and it was resolved remotely by them so I wasn’t completely surprised.

They said they amended the wired thermostat for the radiators but not how or why. I just know I can now keep it off. The wireless receiver remains the only available zone controller in the settings but I would guess it’s because I have a wireless and wired tado thermostat. Had I just bought the wired and radiators, then i would guess it would’ve been configured to work (as a zone controller) and if I only needed a wireless receiver then something similar. However because I needed to replace both, there’s a hidden unknown setting for the wired. Who knows!
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @morgan2567,
    I think you may have hit the 'nail on the head'
    I suspect that Tado are geared up for either a "WIRED" system or a "WIRELESS" system and not a mix of thermostats as you have.....
    That helps to explain why "ONLY TADO" can sort this at their end......