TRV or Smart thermostat priority.

Options

Hi

I have both a TADO TRV and smart thermostat in the same room, firstly should I have both in the same room and secondly can i choose priority as it seems the boiler is firing up when a TRV is calling for heat superceding the overall room settings by the thermostat. I have two TRV's in different rooms, I was hoping when one called for heat the other would close when it is satisfied but that does not seem to be happening. TIA

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @Antdad,
    Have you allocated the Tado SRT's and Tado Smart Thermostat to Tado Rooms??

Also if you have multiple devices in the same 'TADO' room do you know which device is set as the 'controlling' device, as this device is the one to 'call for heat'.
  • Antdad
    Options

Hi

Yes both devices have been set to the same Tado Room, no I don't know which one is the controlling device. It says on the app that the devices become synchronised.

The problem I still seem to have which I thought TADO would resolve is the fact that one when Tado Room TRV calls for heat the boiler fires up as expected BUT the Tado TRV in another room still allows heat through the radiator even though the set temp in that room is satisfied therefore overheating that room.

• Hurlej02
    Options
    I believe you need to create a new room, then add the TRV located in the room you wish to control the temperature. I believe, by default, this will be the temperature measuring device for that room.
  • wbjohn
    Options

Antdad, If you go into the app - select Settings - under Home field select Rooms & Devices - then select your rooms ( not the device ) 

You should have a Heating zone tab at the bottom with zone control

2 options 

1. zone controller - select this if you want the device to call for heat.
    2. no zone controller ( independent ) - select this if you do NOT want the device to call for heat.

So two scenarios

1. you have multiple trv’s with 1 room thermostat and you only want to turn your boiler on when the thermostat temp changes ( but you still control temperature in rooms with trv’s ) but remember they will only heat up if the main thermostat has called for heat.
    2. multiple trv’s and 1 room thermostat but all calling for heat independently. so any room with a trv can start the boiler.

I used scenario 2 whilst I only had a couple of trv’s but now with many I have all the trv’s calling for heat I also use apple homekit to automate the home and away option. I have set my bedroom to not call for heat and set temperature to high from bedtime until I leave for work so when another room calls for heat in the morning the valve is already open so does not wake me up but allows the room to heat up toasty.

hope that makes sense and helps you.

• Antdad
    Options

Thanks for the contributions so far.

Here's my situation put succinctly as I can...I have two adjacent ground floor rooms both with TADO TRV's and Smart Thermostats in them which I believe are set up correctly. Simply put one room that is not up to temperature when calling for heat ends up overheating the other despite the temperature set manually or via the smart schedule. I would've thought that once one room is up to temp the TRV would close and not allow it to further heat up?

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Hi @Antdad,

I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty sure that your two ground floor rooms are not actually 'set up' as you perceive them to be.

It looks as if one of your devices is set as the 'measuring device' for either all the SRT's in both rooms or the SRT's that are actually in the other room.

You need to check carefully exactly what was recommended by @wbjohn and ensure that this is done correctly. May I suggest that you confirm which devices are located in each room by using the 'BLINK' facility.

So.....

1. Check device location (blink)

2. Check device Tado Room allocation

3. Check "Measuring device" selection

4. Check individual Tado Room "Zone Controller" selection

Please post your results and we (Community members) will continue to assist where possible.