Extension Kit relay not working

Options

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year.

I recently replaced my boring Nest thermostat with a supa dupa Tado setup.

I have one small problem... and I have tried asking Tado but I get no response and it has been several days now.

With a Beast from the East on its way to us, I'd like to have the heating sorted soon.

The relay contacts on my Extension Kit don't seem to work. In the app everything says it's connected and paired up etc. and all of the rooms say that they are using the Extension Unit as the zone controller that all my devices are in.

Jumper is in position 2.

Extension Unit LED is a slow breathing rhythm.

When I manually bridge terminals 2 nd 4 on the extension kit, the boiler comes on.

When devices change to "heating" I do not hear any clicks from the Extension Kit. terminal 2 remains live and terminal 4 remains dead.

I don't have a HW control requirement, so that can be ignored. However, if it helps for diagnosis, when I turn hot water on and off in the Tado app, there is no click either from the Extension Unit and terminal 1 remains live and terminal 3 remains dead.

Attached PDF shows my setup and illustrates the issue.

Would be very grateful for any tips... or is my Extension Kit faulty?

Answers

• Mavinom
    Options

Happy new year back to you!

I have the same issue, so I am adding my findings and also hoping to get some answers about this. This morning for some reason the relay stopped working, and the breathing light has started, only difference is that for me it is not the extension kit but the wireless receiver.

I have checked all the electrical connections and settings, and have reset the thermostat, the receiver and the internet bridge, without succes. In the app itself there are no errors, but the relays is not switching on and off (no click, confirmed by measuring) and the light keeps breathing.

I also noticed that I cannot get into the installation menu on my thermostat. I just get a "fail" message.

I am starting to suspect that it is a software issue, maybe an update was done in the background? Or the relay is broken, but the timing of us 2 having the similar issues at one day appart is suspicious. Besides these 2 possiblities, everything checkable checks out fine.

Maybe someone else, or Tado can help?

• jono23872
    Options

Hi Mavinom

Your relay stopped working... mine has never started :)

I get what you mean by the coincidence though - kinda makes sense.

What I really don't understand is why Tado support don't respond - not here, but to the ticket I've raised through their support chat. It is quite bizarre.

To get by in the meantime I've connected an old smart light switch I had, to my boiler call for heat and I'm using Home Assistant to switch that on and off triggered by Tado room "heating" status.

Hope I haven't wasted my money on the extension kit.

Jono.

• jono23872
    Options

OK! Good News!

Nice person from Tado checked it out remotely and made my Extension Kit work properly. Apparently wiring was correct but Extension Kit configuration was wrong, but I have never found a place to configure the Extension Kit, so may be it is something that they have to do behind the scenes at Tado.

All works as expected now.

Thanks Tado!

Jono.

• frankrush
    Options

I had same issue as Jono: could not get extension kit relay to operate. Same use of the relay as Jono but not to a boiler directly. I wanted the extension kit relay to control a zone on a Heatmiser UH6 (6 heating zones) compact wiring centre which is the thing controlling the boiler (by providing a 240v signal to the boiler if any zone called for heat) and Under Floor Heating (UFH) actuators. The extension kit controlled a UFH zone (my kitchen) by providing a 240v signal into the UH6 to turn on the UFH actuators for that zone to get under floor water flowing in my kitchen (UH6 also turns on the boiler at same time). I had to trick (configure) the extension kit by selecting a boiler in the installation steps that the app would configure the extension kit to control the 'boiler' (the Heatmiser UH6) with a normally open (NO) connection (terminal 4) switched 240v (jumper position 2). I could not see an option to choose a UH6. Simpler/cheaper boilers are best as they don't tend to have digital inputs and so the app configures the extension kit to use the relay and not it's digital output (the three terminals to the right of terminals N, L, 1 to 4). Hope this helps anyone with same issue.