Home Technical Questions

Boiler too powerful/radiators noisy at night

I have four rooms controlled by tado. At night time when only one or two radiators in bedrooms are potentially heating at a time the radiators are too noisy(loud water flowing noise)- I assume as all the water is flowing through only the two rads. The others being off. This is an issue with boiler rather than the thermostats themselves. I have tested turning other rads on and the noise drops.Is there a way to adjust anything to reduce noise? Would a different pipe work set up be required, like an over flow system or something. It is a combi gas boiler I have

Comments

• It sounds like your water pump is using a constant speed mode which is causing problems with water velocity when multiple TRVs are closed. Many of the new water pumps have a proportional pressure mode, where the pump speed changes as the TRVs open and close. Even if your pump only has a constant speed mode you may be able to reduce the speed - most have three speed settings.

Next time you get your boiler serviced ask the heating engineer if they can adjust the pump mode/speed while they are there.

• Thanks grilled cheese. The boiler is an ideal logic max. I think it is modulating. The plumber didn't seem to know about proportional pressure mode. I think possible the boiler is over sized when considering modern WiFi trvv will turn half the house off most of the time. I have email tado as the plumber said he had another customer with a similar prob who contacted tado and he suspects they came up with a solution. @GrilledCheese2