Help me with range issues and my boiler not stopping heating

Options

I have a couple of rooms (TRVs) in my house that appear to be on the edge of the range that the Tado bridge can reach. I can't really move the bridge to a better location without compromising other devices. I have the bridge in an upright position as previously recommended.

The other day my heating was on late at night. When investigating the Tado home screen shows everything as OFF. When looking at the Care & Protect I can see that in fact it is heating "Porch". When looking at the "Porch" room I can see that it is OFF and the schedule should have turned it off a couple of hours ago.

On investigation it seems that the device lost connection at 17:10 and didn't regain connection until 20:50. It missed the schedule change at 20:30 that would have stopped it running and failed to apply the change when the device reconnected at 20:50.

Why is it that the Tado system is not smart enough to recognise that even if a device is not accessible and the schedule says it should be OFF and that it shows it is OFF everywhere, that it cannot turn the boiler off too? This is costing me money and heating my house un-neccessarily.

I have seen claims that it is possible to increase TRV range at the expense of battery life, is this the case?

Answers

• Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I've not heard about the possibility of boosting range. However I had partial success by using metal foil to reflect signal to the bridge. I ran cables to the loft and have the bridge up there. I have a large piece of foil covered board above. I have also laid down space blanket on either side. This fixed some of my issues. Only have 1 problematic room now.
  • PsyVision
    Options
    Thanks Pete, I'm not sure my loft will be any better. I have one plug socket that I can try within the house and thats my last gamble, a central staircase means I don't have many central plug sockets.

I caught the boiler on and firing again last night, everything showing as OFF, Porch TRV disconnected and nothing calling for heat according to Care & Protect. Useless!
  • Schippie
    Options

Please all with range issues, vote on the already-most-voted suggestion for a range extender. Might help.